Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on nice.

Options
  • 08-09-2002 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Thought a new thread would be best. I've been reading that little booklet on nice that came in a day or so ago. Now the Dark devil babble says that we wont for certain periods have a mep, (1) could someone go into a little more detail about when, where and who has an mep. (2) It also said we had a veto on certain security and foreign affairs issue. My main question is, if we have no meps in office, then how the hell do we veto something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Boston
    Now the Dark devil babble says that we wont for certain periods have a mep,

No, we wouldn't have a Commissioner (after there are 27 EU members), the best analogy is like not having a minister at the cabinet table.
    (1) could someone go into a little more detail about when, where and who has an mep.

We will post Nice have 12 MEPs (down from 15). MEPs are elected by the public. Once there are 27 EU members, we would rotate our Commissionership with other country(s).
    (2) It also said we had a veto on certain security and foreign affairs issue. My main question is, if we have no meps in office, then how the hell do we veto something?

This veto would be held by the Irish government of the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We will have MEPs in office (apart from when they are on holiday :) )- as Victor points out, its a Commisioner that we may be lacking from time to time.
    We will be going down from 15 to 12 MEPs, who are democratically elected by the general populace (unlike the Seanad elections). This is still a higher number of MEPs per head of population than most EU countries, so we are not doing too badly.
    Roll on 2006....

Advertisement