Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Engineering

Options
  • 08-09-2002 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

I'm currently in 5th year and I'm hoping to take up a course in electronic engineering when I finish school but there is a problem.
    As far as I know in most collages you need honours maths and honours physics for your leaving cert to take up the course. I'm only doing ordinary maths and have been doing Ordinary since 2nd year :/
    I was told honours maths would be far too hard to take up in 5th year :(

What should I do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I did a degree in Telecommunications Engineering (similar to Elec Eng in the first 2 years at least) and I can confirm to you that your going to need a high level of Mathematics to get through it.

If you are doing Ordinary level maths because you are lazy then don't let it put you off. Anyone can pick it up. However if you are doing ordinary because you honestly can't get your head round the dicipline then stay well clear of E.Eng because the course is full to the brim with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

I was thrown into a pass class cause on one exam in 1st year which I only found out about on the day, I have always thought of maths been my easy subject once you figure out the forumula. I'm going to wait till wednesday and see how I did on my jc results. If all is well I might go ahead with Honour's maths and get some maths grinds later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I did honours for 5thyear + half of 6th year up to the mocks and then the LC but there's a huge difference between higher and pass imo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I'm doing Electronic Engineering too yay! I'm going to UCD this year though. Anyways, not to scare you away or anything but maths is a very long course, however there's no reason why you couldn't change to honours, but you'd have to put in a lot of work. I'd say gettings grinds would be a big help too, if not necessary unless you are incredibly devoted, and when it comes to 6th year it get's really hard to keep motivated....well for me anyway, especially when you get home and have to do 4 big maths questions and you can't get them right, there's a match on the TV you want to watch, and your soooo tired....(lol, not painting a good picture am I?) but my point is that sure it's possible but it'll take soooo much work, having a grinds teacher will help you a lot.

What do you need to be accepted anyway a Higher C1? Getting a C in maths isn't *that* difficult it's the Bs and As that are almost impossible without series study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

The above post is bollocks.

Maths course can be done in a year quite easily. If you have a decent apptitude for the subject you will get a c no bother and with the tinyest ounce of work a b. However work/luck is required for an A.

• Advertisement
Advertisement