Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exclusive: Interactive services now available in ROI

• 08-09-2002 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭

i was waiting for my hard disk to defragment while this occured i thought have a look at SKY Movies Active. I read some of the film news. The i seen the option to message SKY in the Active menu.
    I thought i check has there been any upadtes to the message saying Active will be avilable soon in the ROI.

I tried this and when you pick which part of SKY you want to email , when you actually get the email screen. When it tries to dial out it usually said this service will be avilable in ROI soon. Please call for a number for more information.

But tonight i got a error saying it could not get a dial tone. it thought this must be a mistake.

So i got an phone line and connected the digibox up to the phone. Then i tried the option to check your Yahoo mail. While i was typing in my account information the box diallled in i managed to check my yahoo email.

SO interactive features are available in ROI.

I dont know what number it rang but i will find out.

Also that has to be the lowest key launch in SKY history.

Just thought i let you guys. I dont think i be using it all that often though.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well spotted, irishgeo. Must take a wee look at that tomorrow. Will have to get the box hooked up to the line.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I just checked this and Im still getting the available soon message.
    My box is Pace2500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its working on mine still.i have a sliver grundic.
    Perhaps you missed an update. I had to reboot my box today as my teletext stopped working so maybe that has something to do with it.

I am going to check out some of the services avilable. I loved to AVAGO at AVAGO :D

I report back with some findings tomorrow.
    (I i am right i think an ORC is in order. Perhaps i can include it in my sig saying 2 ORC's for scoops in regards to SKY.)

Sent an email to SKY to see if there is any updates on SKY ACTIVE , SKY +, Mirror Subs , UTV and Channel 4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Yes I also have the silver Grundig(newish Installation) and my teletext stopped working yesterday(Sat). Had to reboot to get it operational again but I thought this was a common enough occurance and not necessiarly got to do with O/S updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

Just tried on a black Grundig running OS 1.2S4Bj with EPG 3.0.11* and got "service coming soon". Exciting stuff, but I can't see me using it a lot though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

excellent!
    i'll give it a shot when i go home for lunch

maybe they were just testing the service ahead of the launch
    i cant imagine they would want to keep the launch quiet (perhaps they are embarassed it took so long:D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

according to Sky themselves, their Sky+ service will be in Ireland within the next month.

Some updates for you on the services i managed to use.
    I tried to use sky buy no look. I then tried sky rewards and no problems entering the competitions. It even knew you all my address details.

I then tried AVAGO but you had to register.Inetersting it would not hang up so just pick up an extension and it hung up ,if the box does not hang up pick up an extension

I tried message to mobile and the got me a coming soon message.

Generally i think that anything thats not specficly for the UK we in Ireland should be able to access or that does not involve buying anything.

I dont think i be using often either maybe the odd sky rewards competition.

Have fun trying it out. Most things you can do on SKY Active you can do on the internet and its fairly slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by Bard
    according to Sky themselves, their Sky+ service will be in Ireland within the next month.

Was this a drone from the customer services department or someone who know what they are talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by ShaneOC

Was this a drone from the customer services department or someone who know what they are talking about?

Someone senior in Sky's tech support department said it to a colleague of mine. He was on to them cos his Pace digibox suddenly stopped working...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bard

Someone senior in Sky's tech support department said it to a colleague of mine. He was on to them cos his Pace digibox suddenly stopped working...

Fair enough but as with all of Sky's promises - I'll belive it when I see it. The last I heard from them about Sky+ was that due to a lack of resources at Sky that it would not be available until early next year. I hope that the situation has changed.

byte

I can't imagine SKY+ being all that popular in ROI as it's not really that popular in UK, is it?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when you use the Sky digibox for online services, the time online is much more expensive than standard dialup?

irishgeo, could you use Gamestar Pay2Play?

it did say when you dial up that it is local call but as i dont know what number it is dialing i cant be sure. Anybody got anyways how i can check.

I never tried gamester pay2play but i look into it but i did try mtv hits chart thing and it would not dial in.

i did see on a active page that it was 10cpm per minute but thats way to much.

Also the sky sports footabll quiz is 1.26c per minute after the 3rd round which need to dial up.

I keep you guys up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I keep you guys up to date.

Well done sir! I don't wanna see your phone bill after this lot! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by irishgeo
    i did see on a active page that it was 10cpm per minute but thats way to much.

I also saw this on the Yahoo page, but shortly after I tried to connect, it said that the service would be available "soon" in the Republic of Ireland and then gave a phone number for info (didn't take the number down).

i must the only one in the country with it working or the balls to try it.

maybe its not working again. i just go have a look.It might be only testing.

Yeah seem to be back to the available soon message. it must have been a test and i was lucky to get it.

cant be too far away though.

I think there having trouble getting companies to provide features. I bet the bookies are falling over themselves to get on it.

There we on about banking etc. but i cant see it.

Its to expensive at a
    at a max 10cpm
    where british users pay 12p connection and local rates.

We live in hope. I wonder what they think i am doing entering SKY rewards through my digibox from ireland. i might win as the only person to do it.

Off to clear a place for the big widescreen tv in this months competiton.:D

Anybody know someone who ever won in ireland since they opened it up to irish people? I mean know anyone not seen the SKY magazine winners.

I keep the eyes peeled for me more tests this week and will keep up to date with the latest SKY information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

in the menu in ROI pay 10cpm

byte

Originally posted by Charles Slane
    it said that the service would be available "soon" in the Republic of Ireland and then gave a phone number for info (didn't take the number down).

Same with me on my Panasonic DSB31 :(

Hmm, Online Banking is good IMO. AIB has a good one.

I always enter Sky Rewards via the Sky website but haven't won anything yet! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by irishbyte
    I can't imagine SKY+ being all that popular in ROI as it's not really that popular in UK, is it?

About 28,000 boxes sold (out of a million regular subscribers)

Could be a bit more popular admittedly.

Originally posted by Charles Slane

I also saw this on the Yahoo page, but shortly after I tried to connect, it said that the service would be available "soon" in the Republic of Ireland and then gave a phone number for info (didn't take the number down).

I was able to access the Yahoo mail page last night through my digibox. I was also able to check my subscriber details. Accessing message to mobile was only available to UK customers.

I am going to use the message sky later to ask what's the latest on Sky+ and mirror subs.

• Advertisement

seems to be testing again today as well. If you go to the yahoo mail part it says to plug in your phone line. where it says normally available soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭trekster

Sky rewards called me 2 weeks ago to say i had won tickets to alton towers. Since i'm in ireland and have no chance of going to england just to see alton towers Im gonna send them to my brother.

So irish winners do happen. But i would have prefered a Tv or even Cd's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rocket

set up account with yahoo this morning. then tried the e-mail on the tele works pefectly fine............ thats if anyone is interested.

messenging sky is fine, though I think it will be a while yet before we can message mobile, which I reckon will be handy!

gamestar----pay to play also work fine........

interesting, a very quiet launch from sky....dont you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rocket

if anyone is interested I sent my first e-mail from my television this morning @ an hour ago..........and every thing is working fine....

also all those pay and play games are working bit pricey but im sure the novelty will wear off soon......:cool: :cool:

Theres already a thread open on this...

Thread merged.

byte

Interesting....

I don't have phoneline connected to box at the mo, but when I tried Yahoo a few days ago, I got the messagebox saying "Available in ROI soon" but now I am getting a message telling me the phoneline is not connected as it tried to dial out.

It must be working now. Will hook up phone extension later and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Hi,
    Just two questions lads, If i connect to the interactive services, will i be charged for the sky box office stuff i owe for ? i ordered films and a premiership-plus match over the phone line and never got billed for them this was 6 months ago, i'm afraid that if connect, my Digibox will tell on me, Could that happen ? also how much per minute does it cost ??

Thanking you in advance,

Regards netwhizkid

Yes, you more than likely will.

I ordered a couple of Premiership games last season and the odd movie without the line in, and when I went to order a F1 race, I had to have the line in, ordered the race, then a few weeks later, lo, a bill for all events.

its was said in another thread that if you connecte the line 5 years late it would still phone back and you would get billed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Oh well, So I won't be enjoying any of these new interactive services, Also, i saw a promotion, on sky active that said if you e-mailed sky from your yahoo or other account from sky active then you will get a Free Sky Keypad worth £17, not that, thats of any use to me !

Regard netwhizkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh well, So I won't be enjoying any of these new interactive services, Also, i saw a promotion, on sky active that said if you e-mailed sky from your yahoo or other account from sky active then you will get a Free Sky Keypad worth £17, not that, thats of any use to me !

Unless I'm mistaken tho, that offer only applies to UK viewers - I had a look thru the terms & conditions over the weekend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Radar

Some services are blocked for ROI.
    Press red sky active and you get a new menu to select from including email
    12p min quoted but 10 cent in ROI for of the sercices i selected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Radar

"one of the services I tried". Not the rubbish thats there.

Sorry -Too much of a rush

This has been active for about a week. See the following thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63544

And merged with it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmc

Sky News Active is no longer availabele in the republic of ireland. When you press the red button it now takes you to Sky Active and the option for Sky news active is not their. i Phone Sky and they said that this service is only available to the UK from Today. everybody phone skys technical department and complain.

More updates...

When you press red while watching Sky News, the second option in "New Eire Services". When you select it the following message is shown.
    New Interactive Services For Eire

You can now use your TV to play a full range of games, send and receive emails and place bets. You will need your digibox connected to your phone.

As mentioned in another thread, the red dot is now back on Sky One and most of the interactive features I tried were working. You can get a new ringtone for your mobile for €5.64 (€1.88 a minute - calls last 3 minutes).

How did we ever live without this :rolleyes: ?

By the way Sky News Active is working perfectly.

byte

Tried it last night and it was amusing for less than 5 minutes! I was able to browse emails and stuff and set up a talk21 account but can't see me writing too many emails with the handset! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

talk21 ? is that a BT product ? if so how can roi ppl use it ?, also how much does it cost to email from yahoo/talk21, local call or xxx/min ?, sorry bout all the Q'S :)
    be safe
    ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by arkles
    also how much does it cost to email from yahoo/talk21, local call or xxx/min ?

The call costs 10 cent per minute, and typing an e-mail with the remote could take a while...

(FYI, subscribers in the UK pay 12 pence to connect then the local call rate per minute.)

• Advertisement
    byte

talk21 is indeed associated with BT but ROI users can register as I did last night (Esat is another BT product);). It has an advantage of being able to write an email offline. I remember the web-based version allowed you to send free SMS but dunno if it does anymore...

byte

FOrgot to mention, it's apparently local rates. It says that in top left of screen when online.;) Dunno what it says on Pay2Play or stuff like that.

OT but I rang Sky last night to cancel Sky Movies and the guy asked me if I had phoneline connected. I said no I didn't (as I am well after 12 months), and he insisted I reconnect the phoneline for a few months or I may face a charge of up to €80 or something as phoneline was part of the initial contract (i didn't have line connected for my first 12 months as it wasnt necessary at the time). I said yea OK whatever.

But after rooting through my 2year old contract, not once did it state that phoneline connection was obligitory so this fool obviously didn't know what he was talking about. Must have assumed same rules applied as UK...

byte

FOrgot to mention, it's apparently local rates. It says that in top left of screen when online.;) Dunno what it says on Pay2Play or stuff like that.

OT but I rang Sky last night to cancel Sky Movies and the guy asked me if I had phoneline connected. I said no I didn't (as I am well after 12 months), and he insisted I reconnect the phoneline for a few months or I may face a charge of up to €80 or something as phoneline was part of the initial contract (i didn't have line connected for my first 12 months as it wasnt necessary at the time). I said yea OK whatever.

But after rooting through my 2year old contract, not once did it state that phoneline connection was obligitory so this fool obviously didn't know what he was talking about. Must have assumed same rules applied as UK...

Advertisement