Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am interested to see on the Keane issue.

• 09-09-2002 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭

I'm interested to see the people who support Keane and who don't.
    Im curious wether its mainly Man u fans who support Keane or is it equally spread out.

(im aware this doesnt cover all the bases but i am curious. If your option is not avail plz post the closest.)

You think Keane should be given another shot ? 47 votes

Yes i believe he should. I'm a Man U fan.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes i believe he should. I'm not a Man U fan.
    21% 10 votes
    No i dont think so. I'm a man U fan.
    55% 26 votes
    No i dont think so. I'm not a Man U fan.
    0% 0 votes
    Have no opinion/undecided.
    23% 11 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Not a Man U fan here...and in fact I was all for McCarty until starting to read Keane's "autobiography" (it's an *AUTO*biography but wasn't written by him this I don't understand)...but anyway what he's saying makes sense, I believe him about the facilities, the economy class plane seats, the awful pitch at Saipan and everything else - while I'm aware of course some people are struggling to make 0.1% of Keane's salary and it's a little prima donna of him to complain, but all other world class football players / teams are getting good, decent facilities so why not Ireland's? - and that this had been going on for years but McCarthy wasn't doing anything about it...so about his outburst in Saipan, it was a stupid thing for Roy to do, but he had the right to be pissed....

But the main question is do we NEED roy? The answer has to be YES, but I really don't see this happening while McCarthy is captain, maybe he'll resign...if he was smart he would've done so after the World Cup - we'd done pretty well without our Roy, he'd proved himself and would be ending on a high.

He deserves another shot for sure.....and I'd say he'll get it, perhaps in the not too distant future, he won't be back till December anyway, but if...hopefully we wont...but IF we lose to switzerland, and God forbid say...Georgia...the pressure from the pro Roy camp would be too great for McCarthy to bear, see what's happend after this game, and you can't say this was an easy match, the fact it was in Russia amoung thier die-hard fans made it all the more difficult.

Hmm maybe I should wait till I read McCarthy's book before making jugdements like this...not a big fan of the writter of his though (Cathal Dervan)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Not a man u fan, yes he should be given another chance. Football isn't about personality , it's about talent. The man is talented. He's an ass, but he's talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Well I think I'm probably in the camp most in support of Keane as a super Irish midfielder and that's all that matters.

I'm an ABU and I reckon that he just has to be there.

As far as the qualifiers for the World Cup is concerned in most games he almost single handly won the games for us.

It's like getting rid of Steve Redgrave from his rowing teams in the Olympics. Sure, the lads he raced with were class too, but lets be brutally honest - they wouldn't have to recognition they have now if it weren't for Redgrave's brilliance.

Similarly, players like Duff and Robbie Keane and even Gary Breen ( who I'm not a fan of I have to say ) wouldn't have been able to get the recognition they have today for the displays in the world cup if it wasn't for the brilliance of Roy Keane pushing the team into the world cup in the first place.

Once he puts the red shirt on he's utd scum, and Stevie G becomes the best midfielder in the premiership, but once he dons the green, he's the best midfielder in the world, never mind the premiership - if you see where I'm coming from - and it is this that I support Roy Keane for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I'm ABU too. I'd be happy to see him back, the nutter. Can only do us good overall. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I would love too see roy pull on the irish shirt again.

I cant see it happening al long as Mick is there, but Ireland would be the better team with him.

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

that would be hard to do seeing as there are more people in the rest of the country.
    You'd have to do a county per county thing and compare it with Cork. or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

you left out one option in your poll

"sick to death of hearing about roy keane"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

am i the only one who finds is SLIGHTLY suspiscious that only 3 man united supporters have voted in this poll, while 21 non man united supporters have voted??? from what ive gathered from this board theres a LOT more than just 12% man united supporters

• Advertisement

yer i was surprised at that myself.
    Either they are lying, cant be arsed to vote or this is truely the case :p

All we can do is hope everyone votes truthfully.

im sure there are a few united supporters who, for the sake of trying to get their point across, said they didnt support united to make keane look backed moreso by non united fans. not saying of course that everyone who supports united did that by a long shot, just pretty damn sure that thered be one or 2 at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hallelujahjorda

Bring back Roy . . . Sack McCarthy . . . He's a muppet, . . Can anyone who knows about football please explain the logic of bringing Phil Babb into a team 3-2 down with 10 minutes to go.

Where's O'Shea,

Where's Butler ?

But most of all, Why can Mick not see what the rest of us can and play Duff on the wing ? ? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Wheres Glen Crowe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I am a United fan and I believe Keane should and will play for his country again. Although McCarthy wont be manager.

Keanes absence in the qualifiers will show McCarthy up for what he really is. Amateur and naive. How long will the McCarthy supporters stand by him? If we dont beat the Swiss the calls for his head will start. Ireland with Keane would piss that group easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If Keane came back to Ireland, I wonder whether or not those players who he called muppets would play alongside him. Fair enuff bring back the psycho fool, but isn't there a rule about having to start a game with at least seven men...

Kelly, Staunton and Quinn have packed it in so there is just Holland and McAteer left. Holland would be automatically dropped for Keane if he came back because of the fact that he is crap. McAteer is a muppet that we can do without. He was talking about retiring during the WC so he might as well do it now even if Keane comes back or not.

AFAIK Keane was talking about hanging up his international boots after the WC too. Why is it such a big issue now considering that he probably wouldn't be about to have played in the Russia game anyway ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CharlieMac

Anyone out there who meets the following three criteria:

Not Irish
    Not a Man United fan
    Likes Roy Keane?

Anyone at all?

I'm curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Most people in England don't like him. You can't really blame them, if they read and believe the crap that is written in the papers over there. Look at the stuff that Shearer has gotten away with that never gets the same amount of media coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

I believe him about the facilities, the economy class plane seats, the awful pitch at Saipan and everything else
    but all other world class football players / teams are getting good, decent facilities so why not Ireland's? - and that this had been going on for years but McCarthy wasn't doing anything about it

Awww poor roy, OMG I am so sick of hearing this. The reason we havent got the facilities and probably never will is because we dont have the money. We are not England, Germany etc and will never be anything like their standards. Where could we get anywhere near the money they have. Our team has never won anything and all the Irish ignore Irish soccer and support English teams. The FAI lets face it havent got money in abundance. Roy Keane is a spoilt git and let us all down , of course I aint a great fan of Mick either.

The reason we havent got the facilities and probably never will is because we dont have the money.
    How much money does it cost to pay for first class travel and decent facilities?? A few hundred thousand... even a million!? The government should step in and throw a few mill extra at the FAI to pay for this stuff.
    Roy Keane is a spoilt git...
    I don't think he's spoilt, I think his issues were genuine and I'm glad he's highlighted them.

But he did let us down by walking.

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    AFAIK Keane was talking about hanging up his international boots after the WC too. Why is it such a big issue now considering that he probably wouldn't be about to have played in the Russia game anyway ?

EXACTLY!

afaik he said he'd love to play for Ireland again on a tv interview.

reasons keane said that perhaps:

1) makes mick look bad

2) its ok for him to tell his country he wont play for them again through retirement, but its not ok for his country to tell him hes not wanted, in his mind

3) you always want what you cant have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Awww poor roy, OMG I am so sick of hearing this. The reason we havent got the facilities and probably never will is because we dont have the money. We are not England, Germany etc and will never be anything like their standards. Where could we get anywhere near the money they have. Our team has never won anything and all the Irish ignore Irish soccer and support English teams. The FAI lets face it havent got money in abundance. Roy Keane is a spoilt git and let us all down , of course I aint a great fan of Mick either.

The FAI does have the money for First Class seats, seeing that all the blazers travel up in First Class. There was a free world class training centre at Izumo laid on by FIFA which wouldn't have cost the FAI a penny, but the team had to go to Saipan for a week long piss up first, which actually ended up costing way more money than if the team had gone straight to Izumo... It's all just an example of bad organisation and disregard for the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Most people in England don't like him. You can't really blame them, if they read and believe the crap that is written in the papers over there. Look at the stuff that Shearer has gotten away with that never gets the same amount of media coverage
    so true, the english media hate him, cos hes Irish fullstop.....
    Shearer kicking Lennon on the head years ago, the english media said nothing....

How much money does it cost to pay for first class travel and decent facilities?? A few hundred thousand... even a million!? The government should step in and throw a few mill extra at the FAI to pay for this stuff.
    we have decent facilites, we lack decent finances... we aint Man Utd, we cant afford to fly our players to Brazil etc...

Roy's downfall IMO is down to one man -> *Alex Ferguson*
    Ferguson as we seen last week, doesnt want his players to play international football. Didnt want Roy to play in the world cup, because he wanted him to have his hip operation during the summer months... so he could start the next season fresh...

I would love Roy the pull a green shirt on again, and lead his country to the Euro Championships, but this Ferguson fellow has changed Roy into a Fathead, u know....

and cos Man Utd won feck all, last year was other factor...Roy was really fecked off....

oh yes I hate Man Utd

On another note, you know whats even more depressing then no Roy Keane for us. Mick has said he wont be making changes to the side for upcoming games, hes gonna stick with the players who did well in the world cup. We r doomed. And we are stuck with Mick until these qualifers are over so no Roy Keane and its looking like if Mick keeps playing players out of form , we wont be in euro 2006. :mad:
    Roy's downfall IMO is down to one man -> *Alex Ferguson

Hmm ya I kinda agree but I think eamonn dunphy should be added to that list :D

Mick likes to stick with his players.
    Another bad result tho and he'll have to change. That is if he isnt sacked.

• Advertisement

I would like to know how many of the people here that said the FAI havent got the money for decent facilities and travel disagree with the Sky deal?

People complain they havent the money to pay for decent facilities and organisation at the WC and then complain again when they sell the rights to their home fixtures to the highest bidder to make more money.

Bucks83: that would be interesting to see.
    You can never please the public it seems ;)

I didnt have a problem with the sky deal but then again we have sky here , if we didnt my view might be different. Cant expect everyone to sign up to sky just to watch our own team play.

The players will just have to put up with the facilities and travel probs etc. They should be proud to play for their country no matter what. Anyways it aint as bad as Roy Keane makes it out to be.

Rags do you have first hand knowledge?
    if so plz eloborate. if not i dont think you can really say.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Xterminator
    Wheres Glen Crowe ?
    ROTFLMAO!

Sorry couldn't resist.

I am a United fan and I think he should be in the Ireland squad Mick McCarthy or no Mick McCarthy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Who Glen Crowe ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Who Glen Crowe ??

WHO'S GLEN CROWE??????

Only the finest striker Europe has ever Produced!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Originally posted by CharlieMac
    Anyone out there who meets the following three criteria:

Not Irish
    Not a Man United fan
    Likes Roy Keane?

Anyone at all?

I'm curious.

Yeah Frank McGlynntock ( spelling ??? ) and Andy Gray have nothing but praise for the man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

Roy keane = Bollox

Man Utd = Bollox

FAI = Bollox

I blame the euro!!!!

Originally posted by Sposs

WHO'S GLEN CROWE??????

Only the finest striker Europe has ever Produced!!!!!!!!!

What I meant was
    I am a United fan and I think he should be in the Ireland squad Mick McCarthy or no Mick McCarthy.

Did this guy mean that Glen Crowe should be in the Ireland squad. Everyone knows who Glen Crowe is.... some kinda TV chef or summit isn't he...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Sorry... I didn't make myself clear there. I was laughing at something that guy said about Glen Crowe. There is no way he should be in the squad. Morrison, Doherty, Sadlier, Connolly are all ahead of him in my opinion.

I meant that Roy Keane should be selected for Ireland again, McCarthy or no McCarthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

I despise Man U but am 100% behind Roy Keane. It was him who got us to the World cup NOT Mcarthy.

Fact: Roy`s comments regarding mick were true. "you`re a $hite player a $hite manager"

Fact: Mick is only the manager of ireland because he was charlton`s buddy. he was captain for the same reason.

Mccarthy played for Millwall, a second division team. it was a wonder he even made the squad.

Advertisement