Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor refresh Rate Q.

• 09-09-2002 6:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Hoi.

My monitors default (and recommended refresh rate) is 50-60hz.
    I was wondering how much i'd damage the monitor if i stuck it up to 85 or above? It has no problems reaching that refresh rate but im wondering if it will have long term effects.
    I use the screen res of 1152*864. Will that make a difference in regards to damage at high refresh rates.(ie the higher the faster/more likely it will become damaged)

The monitor is the old Dell M990 color. (bought it 2 yrs ago)

I tried a google but i could only find the usage instructions for it.

I'd appreciate any info.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Is your monitor correctly identified in display properties? If not, it is just the standard plug and play monitor driver, and so those recommendations dont' really apply. A better indication of your monitors capabilities is to look at image quality as you increase the refresh rate. If it can go from 60hz to 85hz with little or no loss in sharpness and color definition then it was probably meant to work at 85hz anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

at standard refresh rates (60/70/72/75/85/100/120/144) the monitor should either work or not work, if it doesn't work it'll go blank. Higher refresh rates are better for you, means the brain is doing less work filling in the missing data, so as high as possible is a good thing.

It's when u start running a monitor at odd frequencies, like if it does 75 but not 85, but u get an image at 82hz, that it can be causing a bit of damage to the monitor. 75 is really the minimum you want to be running at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The monitor isnt being correctly identified. I'll see if i can fix that.

I was aware that the higher you run it at the better it is which is why im asking the question.
    I'll see how high i can get it without the symptoms you mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

monitors dont have "standard" refresh rates - graphics cards do.
    you wont ruin a monitor just because you are using it on a "non-standard" refresh (there is no such thing, check your monitor specs and itll probably say something like 30khz - 100khz horizontal frequency)
    the only way youll ruin your monitor is if you run it at a higher horizontal refresh than its stated maximum, most monitors will shut themselves off to prevent damage when this happens anyway

exception to the above for CRTs is when you have a (really old - early 90's) monitor which is not capable of variable horizontal frequencies at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Many monitors will not shut off sam, they will just continue to run, bceause some of the electronics don't mind the higher refresh rate and weren't told to shut off over v freq X, but perhaps the electron gun or flyback transformer can't handle it and you will see image degradation which shows they are under strain. Thats where the danger lies.

• Advertisement

I got it at 100Hz atm which is double what was recommended.
    If i went to 120Hz it gave me a signal outta range error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

One quick google and three clicks later, we find this:

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/monitors/M990/En/spec/spec.htm#Preset

...which suggests that the monitor can do 85Hz at 1280x1024, so it'll do the same at 1152x864 no problem.

It's possible to get the monitor driver from Monitor Drivers (http://www.monitor-drivers.com/drivers/48/48476.htm) but be advised that this looks like a spam magnet to me. Stick the service tag of your machine into the Dell support thingy and you'll get the same results, I should think.

Gadget

Hmmz i didnt see that when i googled it.
    Thanks for info Gadget. Stuck it back down to 85Hz.

I dont need the driver tho.

Advertisement