Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband via SKy Digital Dish

Options
  • 09-09-2002 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Now i know this sounds kinda strange but its true.

I sent a mail asking if it was available in ireland and the prices, and this is the reply

SAT ADSL is available in Ireland.
    You can use the satellite dish that you use for the reception of digital TV pointed towards the
    Astra 1G satellite at 19.2° East (see link: www.ses-astra.com for service coverage).
    If you are interested the best and most secure way to subscribe to our services is to download
    from our website the PDF of the contract (please visit http://www.netsystem.com/eng) that best
    fits your need of broadband and send it by fax to +39.02.62495684 or by e-mail as an attachment
    to mailto:abroad@netsystem.com

So the price, well the best thing is that the modem is FREE. and its €36 per month.

I just wanted to know if anyone has used this system, it sounds too good to be true. It uses your local ISP to send and the sat dish to receive. Is this tecnology available?

Please help.

Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yes this has come up a few times before on these forums and it is avilable in ireland but imo €36 + dial up costs is expensive
    im sure some one who has it will be able to tell u more about it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you do a search in the forums on netsystem you would see a good few posts on this!

I use them as does Bonecollector and im sure a lot more too.

Its good.. on average i would get a download of aboubt 20 - 30kbs which needless to say is better than a modem! If you get the Efetto Notte option you get up to 1mbs after 1am CET (12 here). I dont have that option myself as i could not see myself downloading at that time!!

Bear in mind satellite is no good for gaming and you do still need a modem... combine it with UTV flat rate though and it will be fantastic for downloads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gmidgely

Thanks for the replys.

Now I have a question related. I live in a block of flats with 16 flats sharing a comunnual sat dish (its huge by the way) and its hidden away quite nicely behind a fenced wall. (not that this means anything) What I need to know. To be able to use Netsystem, do I need to do something with the dish (cause I dont think the other residents would like me moving it) I mean we are just getting the phoneslines installed after waiting 14 weeks for €ircon to get their arse in gear and install them, so we are just getting our Sky Cards activated. Useless!!!! Do i need to move it or will it be OK where it is???

Thanks in advance all again!!

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Can you use the same dish that you use to get Sky Digital with a dual LNB or do you have to get another dish? Also how do you download the files, is it just a case of finding the file and clicking download or do u have to use a seperate download manager?
    Any help is appreciated.

mfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I see this thread is getting a bit geeky now.

Try asking the questions In Here instead.

Alternatively do a board swide search to find where it has been discussed before, there is a Net/Comms boards too.

There is a search box at the bottom right of each individual board, set the interval to one year rather than the standard 10 days and enter netsystem......

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sky digital is 28.8 east and Netsystem uses Astra 19.2 east so you cant use the same dish and is usually too wide to use a dual lnb though for a big massive dish it might be possible.. just get yourself a smaller dish.. i have 2m, one for internet and one for sky..

Also netsystem works just like an ISP so you surf through the VPN connection to netsystem... basically you click a link and it downloads just like a modem... you are better off using a resume manager like DAP as you need to use multi-threading to get the best possible speeds!

I also use Europe online which is offline downloading.. you request a file and its scheduled.. they do skybooster which is like netsystem but while its a little faster its more expensive.. the file fetch though is great and also the shared facility (not supported by them) is great.. i leave my PC on 24/7 and gigs of stuff gets pushed down to my machine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

I use netsystem they are pretty good. I usually get speeds of 124k to 250k was max on their adsl plus service but its only one way satelite so you need a modem to use it. Any dish will do pref 80+ , currently I using the sky dish pointing at 18.2 and its working fine. YOU also get the tv stations like sky one, cnn, eurosport and mtv on ur comp if u sign up which is nice.

Saruman which package are you on for netsystem? plus or pro.
    You have europe online aswell? didnt know you could have the two of em at same time , thought it would cause config problems etc. I might get europe online then aswell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keithwhir

i have it , go to http://www.broadbandsatellite.co.uk to find out what u wana know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Saruman
    Sky digital is 28.8 east and Netsystem uses Astra 19.2 east so you cant use the same dish and is usually too wide to use a dual lnb though for a big massive dish it might be possible..

If were are just talking standard offset (non-skyD dishs) then it is easier to setup a dual Satellite system on a smaller dish but you must use the right equipment.

The smaller dish will always have a much wider beam width (which normally translates into extra "noise") but using a good LNb of 0.4/0.3 you could easily get 19/28.

SkyD dish, although light/cheap and ugly is very well maufactured and its matching LNb [which is made specifically for that dish] can see every angle of the dish and maximise the signal and the SkyD dish, althought small, has a very narrow beam width making it very hard to setup for dual sats but no entirely impossible either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Diamond Dave

I'm using netsystem also. Got away with an old analogue dish (about 65-70cm). Another good link for support is
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk
    (Forums->sat isp's->netsystem)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm interested in Netsystem especially as I have already got 19.2 feed for EON and SkyStar 2 DVB card (do they send you one free?).

Is Netsystem reliable? EON seems to have gone to the dogs this last while though I see the service is not going to be closed in October.
    YOU also get the tv stations like sky one, cnn, eurosport and mtv on ur comp if u sign up which is nice

Hmm, I assume you mean German Eurosport and MTV as these are FTA? Sky One on Astra1?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Ops I meant Sky news. Mtv and eurosport are german. Sky news, cnn are english. One or two other english channels and a hell of a lot of foreign ones.

Netsystem are ok , you do get a free modem off them if you sign up for the 2 month trial but you can use your current one.

Advertisement