Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom adsl PINGS

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

€169 here.. since I'd exceed their silly download caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Dustaz

I think the point of this thread is that people are not complaining about what theyve 'got' but rather 'what they are paying 107 euro a month for'.

Well I WOULD give that much to get adsl - but I can't, despite living in an urban region of dublin, being a tiny distance from the exchange, and having an already great line quality (not to mention the fact that I've passed every line test in the last three months.)

So while you're all moaning about your pings - a hell of a lot of us, like me, are thinking 'jeez, be happy with what you have - we've got 56k'

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Originally posted by NoelRock

Well I WOULD give that much to get adsl - but I can't, despite living in an urban region of dublin, being a tiny distance from the exchange, and having an already great line quality (not to mention the fact that I've passed every line test in the last three months.)

So while you're all moaning about your pings - a hell of a lot of us, like me, are thinking 'jeez, be happy with what you have - we've got 56k'

and thats why eircom do so well. People like you Noel, just happy to get the crumbs they offer and bitch when others complain about the lack of service. Eircom hold the monopoly on telephone lines in Ireland and they treat the people of ireland with disdain.
    There is prolly no technical reason why you could not have dsl. But eircom could not be arsed setting it up. Don't blame the customer for complaining about a bad service (compared with other EU countries) that they pay a large amount of money for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by ando

in game, I don't believe it for a second, but it was nice to see it ;)

Fellas, come on, i'm sure he knows how to read pings. i'm sure he wasn't posting that as "proof" of his ping.

On another note, it's very easy to get halflife to tell you you have a ping of 0ms. Just play around with pushlatency and those other settings. Of course it's not true, but the play is smoother, because halflife is compensating as much as it can for whatever your real ping is. With HL set like this, your input is noticably less lagged. You move as SOON as you press the key (that's what it feels like on the client end anyway. I'm sure the server has other ideas). That's what i always had when i was on the DSL trial. Of course it didn't make me die any less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Balfa
    Fellas, come on, i'm sure he knows how to read pings

I think I confused some ppl on my earlier post.. reading it now it seems a bit confusing to me !

When I said 'BTW, ... bla bla bla' ping results, that was from a msdos prompt, the '4' I got was in the actual game., I only showed the msdos prompt ping results to show how better isdn was to dsl :cool:

I can see leeroybrown definatly read it wrong :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by NoelRock
    There are several problems.

1. Broadband (not just ADSL) is generally unavailable. There are only a few areas. Parts of Dublin, Limerick and more recently Thurles, Clonmel and Kilkenny. Where ADSL has been enabled in exchanges, a large number or people don't appear to qualify.

2. For most people who are lucky enough to live in a broadband enabled area, there is only one choice: ADSL from Eircom in Dublin, ADSL from ESAT in Limerick, Chorus in Clonmel etc.

3. Prices are extremely high. It is hard to find higher prices for entry-level ADSL anywhere in the world. There does not appear to be any justification for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Calm down folks.

This is not the place for personal insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

€169 here.. since I'd exceed their silly download caps.

Ive gone way ovet the 3GB limit and never got billed...so whats the story there? how does the extra MB show up on your bill?

No idea, maybe the cap is only a lie... ****s

• Advertisement
Advertisement