Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat unveil plan to launch true flat rate in first quarter 2003

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The point I'm trying to make is effectively what Martin is saying. Screw Eircom, I don't care about them, they've pushed us all past our limits;
    Speak for yourself. I'm still going after them. It is lack of FRIACO that is preventing all ISPs from offering true flat-rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Dangger
    Esat BT unveils plan to introduce Flat Rate Internet Access to Irish
    consumers early next year Esat BT today announced that it intends to introduce Flat Rate Internet Access (FRIACO) to Irish consumers from early 2003, subject to the successful conclusion of negotiations with eircom, and the approval of the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation (ODTR).

Do we have to wait until March of next year?
    . Esat BT intends to launch its Flat Rate Internet Access service

What is meant by "Flat Rate Internet Access service"? Does this include Peak Times?

Is the €25 plan for 60 hours now gone?

ESAT needs to be a little more specific.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Speak for yourself. I'm still going after them. It is lack of FRIACO that is preventing all ISPs from offering true flat-rate.

You're just being difficult now guys. I meant, of course: Screw Eircom, I'll do everything in my power to avoid dealing with them; whereas with Esat, I'd be willing to work with them if they initiated change. I believe Esat can change, I think Eircom is beyond it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Of course not, but I mean in the actual laid down rules for engagement for such a product the companies requesting have answered the latest questions posed by Eircom and are awaiting a response. There are set deadlines for a response to be issued. The deadline passes in the last week of September, so the wheels continue to turn.

Well its the last day of September, anyone got any information on Eircom's response?

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

*waits for UTV broadband*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Well its the last day of September, anyone got any information on Eircom's response?

Yeah I do.

I met with one of the two operators today. They informed me that a deadline has passed ( a week ago) with no receipt of expected info from Eircom forthcoming. They are having a meeting with Eircom this Wednesday (part of the *almost* weekly FRIACO meetings scheduled) which will be attended by the ODTR (this has been standard for the friaco meetings).

The 2nd of the two operators has also indicated a probem with the Eircom side of things.

So the result is after following the required negotiations since mid July to unlock a FRIACO wholesale product both operators appear to have come into some sort of difficulties at the negotiating table with the incumbant. This is of no surprise and quite frankly what we expected. The next step is the revelation by Eircom of what it is exactly that is preventing the release of the technical spec for friaco to be adopted by the OLO's.

We will hopefully know by the end of the week (after Wednesday) what is the exact nature of Eircom's current *problem*.

Like I said it's no surprise and was to be expected. The good thing is that the ODTR have been in attendance and are up to speed, so action must be hasty here. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt :) .

I cannot see what possible excuse Eircom will have that will have any credibility with the two negotiating operators or the ODTR for that matter. Its safe to say the writing is on the wall. But the price Eircom are likely to introduce it (when they do) is likely to be the entry level I-Stream price minus some small amount! Then we are going to have to wait until the bitstream pricing is cut down to size by a working group who are investigating the cost and have to report back to the ODTR by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I met with one of the two operators today. They informed me that a deadline has passed ( a week ago) with no receipt of expected info from Eircom forthcoming.
    The response Eircom gave to the ASAI suddenly springs to mind... "The advertisers apologised for the late response to the complaints, which was due to restructuring within the company."

viking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I've already moved my phone/internet to UTVip, so I'll only be paying eircom for line rental, as soon as possible I'll sign up for broadband (looks like being LEAP) but I'll keep my telephone with UTV. Once other teleco's are able to provide line rental I'll jump ship from Eircom completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Off topic moved. Please keep this to dial-up/Friaco related topics.

Advertisement