Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webdesign???

Options
  • 09-09-2002 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

hi,
    I was just wondering what course you study at college/university to go on to do webdesign and programming? Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

SG145 in Sligo IT is a web development course. In Dundalk they have a Internet technology course not sure exactly whats in that.

As far as programming goes anything with "Computers" in it should have some sort of programing on the course and would allow you to make money from it in your future career(sp!) :)

Check out www.collegesweb.com they have lots of courses listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Most "computer" courses have a strong programming element but oftent he focus is not on WebDev.

In my experience and opinion the best way to get into to web design and programming is to familiarise yourself with the languaes, applications, techniques etc in your own time.

For example:

Learn to use Photoshop - theres plenty of good tutorials out there.

Macromenia Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks etc.

Technical stuff:

PHP, MySQL, ASP. - There are plenty of online tutorials etc. (The php homepage is excellent for learning)

Also putting together an "online portfolio" is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

hi, thanks for the response. I know how to use html, a little javascript, photoshp and dreamweaver and I am busy learning php, mysql. I also started working on a portfolio a few weeks ago:D

But I am not sure what degree I should do in colledge. Should I just do a computer degree and then after that do a web design course. This probably sounds the best.

Thanks alot for all help recieved

One more thing, Do I need art for webdesign? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you're completely web design oriented then I'd probably suggest going for Web Design.

But if you have any other interest in Software/Computers, etc I'd suggest doing a degree course that would give you a good grounding in Programming, Networking, Databases. This would leave you with a better qualification and more overall employability. Try to pick a course that has a good webdev content to cater for your interests and talk to people who did it.

The propaganda may lie but the victims rarely do.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I think I will be doing a multimedia course, cause I also like 3d modelling, and it comes with all the things I wanna do:D Now the only question is do I need art, I will go check it out on the colleges websites.
    Thanks alot

Art wont matter unless its a art course. Obviously if your good at graphics it will help but it wont affect your college place if its a run of the mill CAO listed course (no portfolio etc.)

thanks for the advice, no I dont have to do long and boring ART. All it is is the history...and its dam boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

i was wonderin wat kinda computer courses to go into to be a web designer too, im willing to learn databases networkand stuff but i dont wanna go really near programming...

I havent found any specific courses for web design yet, but I have found a cool multimedia course. which has webdesign, web programming, and 3d modelling all what I want to do. So I will probably go for that:) I dont think there is much money in webdesign anymore:( I might be wrong. I am hoping I am but I have to face the facts:(

• Advertisement

I already told you. SG145 at sligo it www.sligoit.ie or .com

If you mean totaly web design not dev well go do a art course cause your wasteing your time in computers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If you are solely interested in web design then you should take a course that is exclusive devoted to it. The only thing is that if you do this you'll only have a limited range of skills and will be in for tough competition with other graduates who have degrees/diploma's in programming AND web design.

There are degrees out there that let do both web design and programming to an equal level. My course computer science in UCC lets students pursue a degree in Software Engineering and Multimedia Technology. This gives you an equal share of programming and web design.

You could always consider taking a Multimedia course. There is an excellent course in CIT that you might want to look into

I know the main language you study at sligo it is java (or hava!!)

Your not going to be limited to web dev jobs only if you know JAva also if its a half decent course it will cover DB's in depth so there is another job market thingy you could approach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Tipperary Institute offer multimedia , e-com, and programming courses-read the site's propogand......course outlines (albeit with cynicism), see which takes your fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

multimedia in Dcu would of been worth looking at, until they changed it.....

Multimedia

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

DCU now offer Web Design in semester 2 of the first year of Computer Applications. They also offer multimedia in later years as an optional module too as far as I know. Once you come out of CA after doing web design and all that coding you will be quite able for doing very decent web pages once you have creative flair or whatever and some photoshop skills for graphics :-)

Plus employers would swoop you up once you have a CA degree so i hear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Why don't you visit W3Schools.COM cause that's one of my favourite Programming websites of all time. Any one found one better please let me know. Or you could just use Microsoft FrontPage application to make your webpages?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I'm interested in web design and do a lot of it, and the course that I'm doing, Computer Science in UCC, has everything I want. In first year theres the basics.. they start off with html and stylesheets and that, and later theres javascript, ASP, PHP, DHTML and a load of multimedia stuff (assuming you take the multimedia option in second year) mysql and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Who are you? :)

Im in your class methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ya you are, i remember you posting something last year. I don't go in very often so you probably dont know me but my names James Galvin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Illkillya
    I'm interested in web design and do a lot of it, and the course that I'm doing, Computer Science in UCC, has everything I want. In first year theres the basics.. they start off with html and stylesheets and that, and later theres javascript, ASP, PHP, DHTML and a load of multimedia stuff (assuming you take the multimedia option in second year) mysql and all that.

Actually they've changed the course a little. In first year there is now a 10 credit module devoted to Internet, we'll be covering HTML and css, Javascript, ASP, JSP and Java for servers. We'll also be doing a little bit on XML, DHTML, PHP and a few other things too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 bapraster

To do webdesign you don't need to study anything, all necessary knowledge you can find in internet, youtube has hundreds of good tutorials, just start from HTML than CSS and if you'll know it enough than you can start learning JS but this is most difficult part of that as it is programming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Are you sure you're not a budding archaeologist? This thread is from 2002!

Advertisement