Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Still Expanding Broadband Area's - Balinteer

Options
  • 09-09-2002 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

ANOTHER Mate of mine is on NTL's €35 Broadband service in Dublin with a free month trial. He has digital so he is getting the service for just €30 a month. He was phoned yesterday to say that his area had just been upgraded. He was previously told that it would be upgrade by June this year. He lives in Balinteer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It may be an area that was 'prematurely' announced so that in effect reality is catching up with NTL's press releases from earlier this year.

NTL have allegedly suspended expenditure on this program for 6 months or so and therefore if they are back spending on upgrading again it is great news

Could you doublecheck and post back...in fact Post the good news in the Irelandoffline forum where they would dearly love to hear this confirmed.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yes, Im certain theat he 1. could not get broadband earlier this year 2. He was told by phone that his area was upgraded 3. He has an engineer coming to install the equipment for free.
    It may be an area that was 'prematurely' announced so that in effect reality is catching up with NTL's press releases from earlier this year.

I don't completly understand. Did NTL say that they were upgrading that area earlier this year by press release?

My understanding is that they stopped large scale upgrading 2 year ago but there has been some SMALL amount of upgrading still going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

If you try to search do not use NTL as the search is for words longer than 3 letters, so heres what I found, if yer mate is in the Postcodes mentioned here its old news as you see.

If they are creeping out of the 4 original postcodes it is NEWS, do tell everyone.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Guy's I live in D22. Were can I get info on this service; there is nothing on NTL.ie other that 56k dial-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

If they are creeping out of the 4 original postcodes it is NEWS

I have not heard that they are creaping outside the 4 postcodes but the 4 post codes were never completly covered. It is good to see that they are expanding, even if it is inside the 4 postcodes.
    . Were can I get info on this service; there is nothing on NTL.ie other that 56k dial-up

Not true. Click: http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If this is true, then great. It is worth doublechecking, however. Not long ago, NTL issued a press release saying that they were expanding their sales of cable Internet from around 1,500 "trial customers" to 25,000. At the time this was not news because 25,000 was the number of already upgraded homes. NTL were simply selling the service to more homes within the existing upgraded areas.

It would be great if they are now really upgrading new areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

NTL expanded into parts of D.16 (Ballinteer) a while back and I rang to enquire about it.

What I found out was that only the periphary of D.16 had been upgraded to the two-way network, so in short it was unavailable to me.

I live in "Ludford" for reference to whereabouts in D.16 I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Fungus - I quoted NTL.ie not NTL.com/............/ie.

I rang them and asked about my address- not available. The chap wanted my house number and I asked if the Estate address would not suffice as the fibre usually just runs to a junction box as opposed to an individual house - he hadn't a clue. I then picked out about 10 widely located different address's in Clondlakin and not one was connected - a load of s***e if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

I had the same experience too. I was told by them on the phone that parts of Clondalkin (D22) were upgraded. I gave them my adress and they said it was still one way. I asked them to tell me where in Clondalkin was upgraded so I could get an idea of how far away it was etc... They told me that they can't tell if an area is two way unless you give them a specifice house number/ address.

Incompetence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The only parts of D22 that are upgraded are Kingswood in TALLAGHT ...

Have to think about that one for a moment.

But Kingswood is the D22 that is upgraded even tho its in tallaght.

kdja

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

He lives in Ballinteer.

May I ask what part of Ballinteer he lives?

I live in Ballinteer also and last time I called (a long time ago now) They informed me that 'Parts of D16 have been upgraded' This left me píssed off that my part was not so mabey they havre finnished the Job.

Hope so.

Advertisement