Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK falls behind in broadband race

Options
  • 10-09-2002 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Britain continues to lag behind other major European countries in the take-up of high-speed internet services, a survey by a leading internet market research firm suggests.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2246851.stm

Only 14% of household have broadband and they are worried about falling behind? We are royally screwed.

Thank you everyone in eircom (management, unions, the lot) for fecking up broadband. You are protecting your own little corner but you are sacrificing our childrens' future.

Thank you government for letting it happen. But please remember when this country's economy is going down the toilet the supply of little presents in brown envelopes might dry up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

from ENN:
    The UK is lagging behind other European countries in terms of broadband Internet penetration, according to Nielsen//NetRatings. Of seven countries surveyed by the research company with regard to the level of broadband Internet usage, the UK had the lowest level, followed by France, Spain and Italy. Only 9 percent of UK households use a high-speed connection to connect to the Internet, compared with 39 percent in Germany and 33 percent in Sweden.
    Fortunately, we always use the UK to compare Ireland with. It does save us some grieve in that respect. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

......is that we are so far off the scale broadband wise that the UK doesn't even deem us worthy of inclusion in their surveys any more.

We should get the Dept Of Comms and Crustacea to contact Nielsen and say 'Oy , over 'ere mate'.

Nielsen probably have a crap spreadsheet that does not round to 2 decimal points, preferring whole numbers instead, and therefore returns a value like Ireland = 0% .

Can we send over an E-Tubbie to fix that b4 the next survey comes out?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its bad enough that the UK is at the botttom of the pile ...as compared to us who are not even AT or Near the pile thanks to our Governments E-Tub Of Europe ®™© -Uniquely Groovy In All Of the Developed World- Policy policy.

Rather than fix the problem the poor Brits have with raised expectations and multiple Regulatory Industry and Governmental initiatives to roll Broadband out ,Nationwide, pronto they have decided instead to roll out some even
    Groovier technology instead.

Naturally this is being done on a widespread basis being the UK.

Thank god I dont live over there, the choices and prices would give me a headache. At least they only start talking about the groovy tech the Month before they roll it out, I couldn't bear the choice and the waiting at the same time.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Thank god I dont live over there, the choices and prices would give me a headache.

besides which it would only expose you to high speed access to all sorts of corrupting shapes, colours and sounds which are not for Local People.

eircom - the local telco for local people, "we'll have no trouble here"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by pork99
    eircom - the local telco for local people, "we'll have no trouble here"
    Don't touch the precious things!

• Advertisement
Advertisement