Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teleworking

Options
  • 10-09-2002 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi ,
    First off all, sorry if this is off topic but if you guys don’t know ,nobody does. I’ve been trying to get my company to get interested in teleworking for the last few months now and they finally agreed to a 3 month trial. One of the problems is that I have to be connected to the internet all day (so that I can be in contact at all times using instant massagers , email etc ) and that I have to pay for the expense (you might think this is un fair but teleworking is not some thing the company really care about and are really doing it for me as a favor ). Looking at the new services provided by Esat Bt and Utv they seem to have a good pricing structure but they all seem to be off peak .Does any body know of any service that I could connect to the internet from 9 to 6 , but wont cost the earth.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

about €9-10 euros a day including vat and including circle of friends discount for 9-6 access.

less if your company will get the VAT back, that would reduce your bill to €8 a day or so.

thats for 1891 number access with subscription.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

As it stands ironfist77 Ireland is not exactly a haven for the Teleworker. This is where FRIACO and afordable broadband would come into play. Unfortunatly your experiment is going to cost you a bit of money.
    What can I do? I hear you cry. The answer is make some noise, I know we keep saying this, and I know it seems like noone is listening but they will.
    Send a letter to your local TD,The OTDR & the editors of newspapers tell them that you work in a forward thinking company who are willing to let you try working from home. Point out that this would mean one less car on the road or one less body on the packed public transport system. Tell them that you have collegues who would also consider working from home and then tell them that it will cost you or your company a fortune because the E-Hub of Europe doesn't have a flat rate internet access product or affordable broadband.
    When you've done that talk to all the people you know who could work from home and get them to do the same thing. Then see if you boss would be willing to send in a letter outlining their potential commitment to teleworking if only there was a way to connect cheaply.
    I know this may seem like a lot of work and a lot of hassle but this is what needs to be done. Things will not change by themselves, we need to force them to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

at €10 / day to stay connected 9am - 6pm it will add up to about €300 per month (+ 18? for the privilidge of paying 0.02/min)

instead:
    get Eircom's uncapped ADSL 'offer' for approx €180 per month.

or their 3GB capped one for approx €100 per month.

of course, your line would have to pass the ADSL test. Haven't tried this yet, but I heard it isn't easy :)

good luck!

(if you were in N.I. I believe you could have 56k anytime for €25/month. go go gadget FRIACO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Lobos point is true but these 'one' monthly payment products he describes are available in bits of:

Clonmel
    Dublin
    Ennis (full-up)
    Kilkenny
    Limerick
    Thurles

and nowhere else. Nor will they be this year from the look of it.
    Beware of Capped ones but there are a few flat rate all in products.

Outside of there you need to invest heavily in a VSAT (2 way satellite) link which will cost ya for always on IM connectivity coz you cant use a cheap VSAT one like Netsystem over Astra Sat.

Everybody else in Ireland pays by the minute in daytime.

€10 a Day. Every Working Day.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

noticed this on another post may be off use depends on hw sensitive your VPN (you are using VPN !!!!!) is to the time delays
    http://broadband.digiweb.ie/
    installation cost is heavy but otherwise !

• Advertisement
Advertisement