Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an mp3 player for me

• 10-09-2002 8:26pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for:
    something capable of holding approx. 50 to 100 songs.
    good sound quality
    non CD based
    not excessive cost
    USB connectivity
    easy upload

Any ideas?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I have just realised this would probably be more suited to Audio/Visual, would a move be appropriate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Sony so a few NW Walkman's which might be what your looking for. They download music onto them from pc via USB. They used the sony Memory Stick thing so you can have anywhere from 8mb to 256md memory in removable cards.

They also do a Net MD Walkman which you can plug into your pc and stereo and download music onto:

I would reccomend buying Sony ... as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I would recommend the DAP jukebox. I know if maybe a little bit above your price range but I got mine (6GB) from ebay for $200. Cheaper than a net MD here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

DAP are good but way too big imo.

I would go for the more expensive option (apple itunes).

or for the DAP price range get an Archos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    or for the DAP price range get an Archos

yup
    one happy Archos user here and im well happy with it, its the 20 gig usb2 one so its well fast at transfering the data, it appears as another hard drive in 'my computer' when you plug it in and you can put anything on it so its a nice external hd too

www.archos.com and stuff

il tryto answer any questions you have on the juke box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

but aren't they a bit fragile?
    Are they shock protected at all?

What's the abttery life like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

<oops>

I'd recommend the Sony NetMD, you can get one in Currys.
    It's a Mini Disc that comes with software that will convert your MP3 (and other formats) to Sony's own format and bung it onto your MiniDisc via ye olde USB interface.

It's has really great anti-shock protection as yet it hasn't skipped once on me even when I am driving on my motorcycle.

It holds loads of songs.... loads more then the Rio par exmaple and a the single AA rechargable usually goes for two days on one recharge.

It's absolutely nifty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I agree with Typedef on the NetMD's. Got myself a Sony one (can't remember the model off hand) about a month ago and they are aboslutely brilliant. It can hold 4 cd's worth on the highest compression. Slight loss in quality but it's grand for listening to on the way to work, on the bus or whatever. Uploading software is a bit flakey (tends to crash randomly on Win2K if you ask it to do too much), but you can get a plug in for the real one player which is much better than the Sony software that comes with the MD.

As for the battery, its the dogs ... I cycle to and from work each day so am listening to music on it for about 1 hour each day. I charge it on Sunday night and it's grand for the week. In fact, I forgot to charge it last night and the battery meter is still full after 5.5 hours of play.

I'd recommend a NetMD overy a memory based MP3 Player any day. Blank Minidiscs are cheaper than memory sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by SyxPak
    but aren't they a bit fragile?
    Are they shock protected at all?

What's the abttery life like?

not fragile,
    physical- shock protection has 4 rubbers on the corners break its fall
    audio shock protection - 2 meg buffer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

How about the Iomega Hip Zip MP3 player.
    It uses dinky little 40Mb disks, you can get a pack of 4 in compustore for 21 Euro.
    You fit around 8-10 songs on a disk.
    USB connectivity, light and protable. It doubles up as a storage device if you want to store data files on the disks.
    Nice little device!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Erm, no thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Oh well.
    I suppose something solid state is better.
    Depending on how much you intend to spend- Fuji have a lovely new digital camera which is also an MP3 player.
    There is a good review on Toms Hardware at:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/consumer/02q3/020723/digicam-05.html

Its really cool. Don't know about your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Bah!

I ranted at the guy in Currys about 'solid state technology' and he calmly nodded and told me to get the NetMD.

I'm glad he did.
    It hasn't skipped once and I drive a Suzuki Bandit 600cc.

Advertisement