Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATHLON XP 2000+ question

• 10-09-2002 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if some one could help me im thinking of buying :

AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.66 GHz 266 MHz
    Socket A (Palomino) processor (OEM)

i have a amd 1.3 thunderbird on my abit kt7a mobo with a MSI ti4400 card and i bought a coolermaster HHC-001 HSF with the thought of overcloking the cpu but it wont go beyond 1.4 ghz whitch really sux.anywhoo will i be able to overclock the xp2000+ cpu ??

ps. i am going to buy the cpu from komplett and i heard that i should check the chip when it's delivered to make sure it's not damaged or else they wont take it back ? iz this true ??

THX. COMBATCOW >:^)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The reason you cant overclock that chip is because all Athlon XP's are locked. ie you cant overclock them. Probably the same with the t-birds.
    The XP2000+ will have the same. (just gone one btw from komplett.)

If you want to be able to overclock the cpu u need to purchase an Athlon MP. They can be overclocked. They are however more expensive.

(u could also get some one to unlock your present one(if its similar to an XP. I hear its not that hard when you know what your doing. something about a lead pencil?? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Overclocking Athlons is generally a Bad Idea. They run pretty hot as it is - though the new Thoroughbred B chips (XP 2400+ I think) take the edge off a little. Remember that when you overclock the chip and it starts dissipating more heat, not only do you have to clear more watts of heat from the CPU package, but you have to worry about the motherboard feeding so much power into the CPU in the first place. That puts stress on the motherboard power tracks and in particular the VRM section of the board.

The original SocketA Athlons were easy enough to unlock with a lead pencil, but AMD made it much harder starting with the XP series. It's now a very delicate operation that no sane individual would attempt. BTW, it's only the multiplier that's locked. You're free to mess with the FSB until it burns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Why the hell would you want to overclock a Palamino-core XP2000+ you crazy mofo. Have you seen how much heat they give out at standard clock rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Combatcow

ps. i am going to buy the cpu from komplett and i heard that i should check the chip when it's delivered to make sure it's not damaged or else they wont take it back ? iz this true ??

Nope. If there is a problem you send it back to:

Komplett.ie
    c/o KPMG Dublin
    1 Stokes Place
    Dublin 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I never understand why people are so against overclocking.

"Why make it even faster?"

Indeed. Why even buy a faster CPU. Why don't we all just stick to P2's?

I also don't get why you all think you can't overclock the Tbreds at all. Have you even tried? I have. Running smooth as a baby's behind at over 2Ghz.

For Combatcow, yes you can overclock it. Maybe not as much as you'd want, but hey, we can always say that. Wait for the XP2400 if you can though, why not go even faster :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Hey koneko I got me a 2200+ Tbred the other week. I beleave i need to unlock it to get it to work on my Abit KR7A 133R board (its running the 9n Bios). I seen some people say that just bridge L3 5 needs to be closed others say L3 1, 3, 5..... which did you do? and what did you use? a conducting ink pen?

oh and everyone please note that the lead pencel trick wont always work. If you are going to try it. get the one with the most lead content you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by Combatcow

AMD Athlon XP2000+ 1.66 GHz 266 MHz
    Socket A (Palomino) processor (OEM)

i have a amd 1.3 thunderbird on my abit kt7a mobo

From the KT7A FAQ at: http://www.sudhian.com/faqs.cfm/fid/2/fcid/16.sud

# KT7A/KT7A-RAID versions 1.0 to 1.2: All Athlon (Thunderbird) processors with both 100MHz and 133MHz FSB. AthlonXP processors are not officially supported due to a minor timing problem that can require you to hit reset during a cold boot. Unofficially, however, few people seem to experience this problem and these processors work fine.
    # KT7A/KT7A-RAID versions 1.3: All Duron, Duron (Morgan core), Athlon (Thunderbird) and AthlonXP processors to 2100+ are supported. AthlonXP processors at 2200+ are not supported

If you don't know the version of the mobo, it's on a sticker near the ISA slot at the bottom of the board as far as I remember.

/mk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Most of the first batch of thoroughbreds would not clock any higher than the palomino 2200+. The 2400+ and 2600+ have been clocked to 2.2 - 2.4ghz, a fair improvement.

You may be able to clock a 2000+ xp to about 2200+ levels, thats about it. You don't need to unlock the multiplier, just raise the bus speed. Higher bus speed means a faster machine anyway, if you raise the multiplier without raising the bus speed you will not get the real world speed increase you expect because you have worsened the bottleneck between the cpu and memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Ok thx for all the help.Im gonna order the cpu on fri/sat. O and sico im not worried bout the heat cause iv modded my case with 4x80mm fans + 1x60mm blowhole he he .My current cpu temp is 36-37c and system temp is 22-23c nice! And iv tried conductive paint b4 from maplin to unlock the multiplier but to no avail .but yeah gerry iv alreaddy increased the fsb speed with said results.Ill report back after i install da cpu and test it .o btw is artic silver really any good compared to generic thermal paste.How much would it lower the temp 1-2c ? or does it just give better condutivity between the hsf and cpu?

THX COMBATCOW >:^)

Advertisement