Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRQ Problem

• 11-09-2002 9:56am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok Ive been on to EA tech support regarding a prob Im having with MOHAA.Im getting errors with mssfast.m3d and errors with mss32.dll.
    The solution according to EA was a sound card which doesnt support dx8 so Ive upgraded to a Cmedia 5.1 which does,but guess what problem still there.
    So Im fu<king pi$$ed off with this.

My question-The sound card and video card are sharing an IRQ and I was wondering is this normal????They are both sharing IRQ 11 and EA now seem to think that this "could" be causing a conflict although none show up in system info.

Thanks,
    Richie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Simple Answer..... NO NO NO!
    The IRQ confilict is definitly not correct, however I think your proble might be from something else.

What OS are you running?

I quite strongly recommend you get XP and hardware probs become a thing of the past. Otherwise change the IRQ setting try setting one of them to about seven and then you might have to do a fresh install of some of the driver. But try that first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sorry wolf Im a bit confused "NO no no" Does that mean that the 2 sharing the irq is right or wrong???????
    Im using win 98se which Ive never had any problems with before.
    The problem Im getting is definately a sound card related issue which is why I thought an IRQ conflict may have been the prob.Ive been trying to get this "game" working for almost 3 weeks now.Ive reinstalled windows 3 time updated all drivers bought a new sound card etc.
    According to this site http://www.guru3d.com/guide/via-vs-videocard/index2.shtml nothing should be sharing an IRQ with a sound card.

If I change the sound card to a different PCI slot will that change the IRQ?/????

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Sorry wolf Im a bit confused "NO no no" Does that mean that the 2 sharing the irq is right or wrong???????

Right sorry im in work my post are often jibberish :D

The NO NO NO means that an IRQ conflict is very bad. Something you realy want to avoid.
    Originally posted by Hellrazer
    If I change the sound card to a different PCI slot will that change the IRQ?/???? [/B]

As to the answer to this question im not sure about that. However to change the IRQ number should be just as simple as going into settings somewhere and changing it to 7 or 10 or something like that (no lower than 7 tho). I honestly cant remember exactly where you change the number looking try in adapters or something or try the product software.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks Wolf will give it a try when I get home later.Even though no conflict shows up in system information EA still think that it is the problem.On that previous link changing Pci slots should change the IRQ of the sound card.
    Ill let you know how I get on.
    Richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

In Windows 98 the IRQ menu is nicely hidden away.

Go in to Control Panel and then Device Manager.
    You'll see a screen with a list of all your hardware etc in a tree format.
    At the top of the tree is a computer icon which when you double click you will see a sub menu including IRQ's listed numerically. You'll easily be able to see what IRQ's are in use including duplicates.

• Advertisement

Nice cheese I just couldnt bloody remember where microsoft had hidden the bloody thing.

Advertisement