Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chorus cable - round the house

Options
  • 11-09-2002 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭

Can anyone direct me to a forum where I can get information on chorus cable, not Chorus Digital over the Air. I ask becaUse my bro in law has chorus cable and can tune his tv to about 9 channels. He then has the signal sent round the house to various rooms but the tv furthest away has a crap picture on RTE and it tends to vary throughout the day. Is the signal converted to VHF and can I get an amplifier to send a good signal round to all the other tellys?

I am back from UK so do not know a lot about Irish systems, for example if he watches a cable channel on the Video he then gets a good picture in the kitchen by watching through the Video channel?

I am stumped.

gbcullen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Why not try our Cable / MMDS / Broadband forum?

Chorus lovers and haters unite there....

And this thread goes there too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

As you noted

I am back from UK so do not know a lot about Irish systems,

Much analog in ireland is VHF whereas all analog in the UK is UHF.
    Most irish tvs are tunable to uhf and 2 vhf bands (aka 1 and 3) , depends where ya are.

Many UK tv's brought over here miss a channel here or there coz its on vhf in your area.

Ask you local cable company for frequenies or channel numbers first.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

It depends on what part of the country you are in. Certain parts (Cork city for certain) need a decoder for Chorus cable. This allows only one channel to be viewed at a time. This also means that you cant record one channel while watching another, or pipe different channels around the house.

Other parts of the country served by Chorus are more fortunate, in that the channels on the basic package are all decoded together and all piped into the house. This means that you can watch whatever you like and record something else, and on however many TV's you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thanks guys for replies and with a bit more digging for information I got the answer(get rid of chorus is the best option but!) The signal of the basic package is decoded so cable just runs from outside connector into house. However, although the channels are broadcast in VHF using the 2 bands, CHORUS, compound things a bit further by using even a lower frequency VHF and as the bands are so close together reception can be in a word AWFUL. The channel interfence on the current set up I have traced to the main TV whihc is a BEKO and when plugged in it causes channel interfence, must be something in the TV, like dodgy power transformer. I don't where to get suppressors here in West Of Ireland so I have made an excuse and left.

I was surprised that CHORUS can get away with broadcasting such poor quality signals but at least he has 9 channels as opposed to one. The difference between viewing RTE1 on Aerial was staggering.

GB---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Batfink

At least you have got cable , Chorus are the local operator in a new housing estate I have moved into 4 months ago. I have been trying to get the cable installed with the hope of maybe being able to use the cable for the internet. Anyhow four months on and a number of phone calls and Chorus are still no further down the line in putting the cable into my estate. I don't understand how a company can just give up business like that ?? As far as I'm concerned they are just useless and I'm probably going to get Sky digital because I've had enough of waiting. Anyhow theres my bitch and moan about Chorus .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

my bro in law is in ENNIS and not sure where u are but the story I have heard is that CHOUS want to get out of cable and move everyone to their over the air DIGITAL SERVICE that includes a telephone service and in the long run INTERNET ACCESS.

I would push for a defenite anwer on the CABLE and even say u have heard they have no intention of providing it. Ask if they will give u the digital and I bet they will jump at the chance.

I am going back to the UK for a few more years!!

gbculen

Advertisement