Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you reading this Eircom?

Options
  • 11-09-2002 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

This is from the CEO of BT. After a rocky start with their ADSL offering they seem to have gotten their act pretty much together. It is nice to see someone from the telecom industry saying the future is in broadband. Some of us here in Ireland are of the same opinion, unfortunately, the people who are actually in a position to deliver such a service see no future in it. Wake up and smell the rest of the world leaving us for dust.

"I said from the first day that I put a foot in this building that BT will be committed on broadband, that we will do everything in our power to make sure that Britain will be a broadband place to be, because I believe it is the next thing in telecommunications."

"It [broadband] is within the core of our strategy. Nobody can doubt it. There is no backing away any more."

Full story here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/27075.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BT really seem to have dragged their act together on broadband at last. Their "community-based" signup, where a certain number of signups in a particular area will make it worth their while to DSL-enable the exchange is a classic example of a company getting together with its customers and letting them know exactly what they require (and will provide) with a certain level of interest.

It's a more, dare I day it, proactive[1] approach to keeping their customers rather than the poor reacive measures they took in the late 80s and early 90s when they spent their time bleeding customers.

It's still not too late for Eircom to provide a proper service to customers (rather than just chancing their arm and seeing what they can get away with) by listening to what they want and trying to figure out a way to make a reasonable profit on either the product itself or associated services. They may never sign me or many others up based on their past performance but there are planty who forget past wrongs easily (or were never aware of them - these are the people Eircom are relying on for their current business)

BT are still alow off the mark in rolling out broadband but having discovered the Woolworth principle[2] they've realised that affordable broadband can be a goldmine.

[1]still not a real word. Just a buzz word for managers and newsreaders who want to sound smart.
    [2]Banking a thousand pennies rather than a hundred sixpences and all that. A four year old could do the math.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by sceptre

[1]still not a real word. Just a buzz word for managers and newsreaders who want to sound smart.

/me looks at past IOFFL press releases ... proactive not reactive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

/me looks at past IOFFL press releases ... proactive not reactive

Watch it buster! :)

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=proactive

Seems like it is (I always thought it was).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeVore
    http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=proactive

Seems like it is (I always thought it was).

Ah, fair enough.

It was a word coined in the very late 1970s as a contrast to "reactive". I suppose if people really want to make up words with no etymological history and people start using them, they are real words.

• Advertisement
Advertisement