Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinUAE update

• 11-09-2002 7:08pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seems they've given WinUAE the finalBurnAlpha treatment by making a load of changes get it at www.winuae.net

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

What the hell has happened to winuae? in the versions before they inroduced the dynamic recompilation cpu core i could run everything at full speed. now 20fps at most. im no expert but jit was supposed to bring a "massive speed boost" yet it now runs 60% slower? somthing is very wrong there considering basiliskII a mac emulator running os 8.1(the most advanced version of the mac os that ran on the 68k architecture) can pull a steady 60fps and run ev override, marathon, doom2, sim city 2k and other cpu intensive games while running the uae jit 68k core on my machine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

HMmm....seems i'll be sticking with my older version of winUAE till they make a few more fix's. I like my cannon fodder running just as it is:)

Also just noticed that some of my disk images won't load either....I'm also suffering from slow fps, hope they get it rght in the nex release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

has anybody got speed ball 2 to work with winuae

if so please tell me the config you used

thanks

I get it working by putting the
    CPU to 68EC020
    Set RAM Chip to 512k and slow to 512k and make sure your using an old kickstart rom ie A600 or less.
    Might work on other settings to if you fiddle around.
    Before i started playing around it always crashed on the "Loading" screen but works fine on the above...."ICECREAM,ICECREAM!"

Another thing i noticed is if you got the cracked version you'll know the games goin to work when the scrolling works on the crack intro.
    If your still having probs post again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I used winuae for the odd game of SWOS or Speedball 2 but it was to iritating so I bought my next door neighbours Amiga 1200 for 50 quid :)

Iritating? How so? Once you've configures WinUAE and saved the profile your set. Almost all my games ran first time. Only a few gave me trouble and thats usually cause a different kickstart is required or a minor tweak of the config. I Suppose 50 is an excellent price for an A1200 but think i'll stick with WinUAE;)

Originally posted by LoGiE
    CPU to 68EC020
    Set RAM Chip to 512k and slow to 512k and make sure your using an old kickstart rom ie A600 or less.
    Might work on other settings to if you fiddle around.
    Before i started playing around it always crashed on the "Loading" screen but works fine on the above...."ICECREAM,ICECREAM!"

Another thing i noticed is if you got the cracked version you'll know the games goin to work when the scrolling works on the crack intro.
    If your still having probs post again

Thanks all the above appears to work until I select demo game
    or I try to play the game
    then winuae stacks dumps
    I am using the cracked game version of the game
    I have tryed different kickstart rom 12 13 20
    and I am using windows xp
    I have even download the lastest version of winuae

Right well the next step would be to take a look at the sound.
    Firstly turn off all sound and see if you can actually play a match using the config i posted above.
    If this works turn it to enabled and increase the various sound settings as you go.
    As a general rule for WinUAE start at the lowest possible config and work up till you get your game running correctly.
    I'll take look at WinUAE tomorrow to see if i come up with anything else.

Right it's defo a sound issue as once speedball2 sound is set to unabled the game will run fine on any config(Try it yourself:) ). But as i've mine working with sound just reduce all the sound settings ,Lag,buffer etc and hopefully it should work in XP as it does on my W2k machine

• Advertisement

CPU to 68000
    Set RAM Chip to 512k and slow to 512k and using an kickstart 13

Thanks for all help
    it works great nice and fast using computer P4 1.6MHZ
    using winuae 8.21 release 4

Ah good stuff new it would work in the end. With every new release of WinUAE it seems to F*ck up some of the older games;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Are they planing to release the emulator to sell it!

Has anyone noticed any improvements in the new winuae at all?

I don't think they have plans to sell WinUAE(But i could be wrong) there's already a commercial Amiga emulator with permission to supply the kickstart on the CD you can get it in HMV. The name escapes me at the moment...
    It seems that most people are having trouble with the new release of the emu. The Fps has dropped significantly on lower spec systems. I'm happy to stick with my older release as it runs all the games i want it to perfectly.

I brought this package Amiga forever and it came with all the roms that you need and even the workbench 31 which looks cool

It even came with a hook up program so I could link the Amiga
    and pc together which enabled me to transfer all of my amiiga
    disks games to the pc harddrive as a disk image and even rip the rom image of that Amiga.
    it came with latest winuae and seems to be more stable then the one you download free
    all for 34 euro
    this is how winuae makes it money so it is well worth the purchase

check out website

http://cloanto.com/amiga/forever/

Originally posted by Rambo
    I brought this package Amiga forever and it came with all the roms that you need and even the workbench 31 which looks cool

It even came with a hook up program so I could link the Amiga
    and pc together which enabled me to transfer all of my amiiga
    disks games to the pc harddrive as a disk image and even rip the rom image of that Amiga.
    it came with latest winuae and seems to be more stable then the one you download free
    all for 34 euro
    this is how winuae makes it money so it is well worth the purchase

check out website

http://cloanto.com/amiga/forever/

Ah thats the one alright, still i wouldn't spend €34 on it...The cable might be very useful if you made your own demo's and stuff but every commercial game ever released for the Amiga can be gotten on the internet if you know where to look;)
    As for the stability of AF i don't know...As I've said the current version of WinUAE I'm using runs all my games full screen, full sound and with no problems..and it's free.
    What games do you get with the CD? Are they PD or well known games?

Amiga forever offers all of the workbench disks from 1.2 to 3.1,
    roms 1.2 to 3.1 and CDTV and CD³² boot ROMs
    it comes with plenty of utilities
    it does not come with any games
    I transfered them myself. I have around 100 Amiga game disks some of the disks I had made up myself which you could not download.

I must look into getting one of those cables cause i do have stuff i'd like to transfer, like deluxe paint stuff i did years ago :)

I got the serial lead in It Direct for 3 euro
    Amiga Forever supplied all the software that I needed
    software for the for Amiga , and PC so they could communicate together.
    you can even transfer a whole hard disk which I did.
    and was great to see my old workbench coming back back up on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

might get me one of those leads to.

I have a load of old music i created on amiga disks.

Nothing more creative than the Amiga in its day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement