Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning Italian?

Options
  • 11-09-2002 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

I'm just starting out, though I do have a head start cause I speak French and Spanish - some might say that's a burden though.

Anyway, just for those that are interested, the BBC are going to be showing their Italian language series for beginner's, "Italianissimo" all next week in the v. early morning. Set your video recorder for 4am-5am and you should get it. It starts on Monday morning (that's go to bed Sunday night and set your recorder, and wake up Monday - I know some ppl that consider 4 on a Monday as still being Sunday night ;) ). That's Monday the 16th September through to either Friday or Saturday morning (I'll double check and get back)

It's supposed to be a good series, and is accompanied by a book and tape course. If any one has followed it, please let us know, grazie!

Buona sorte!

Michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The Italian Cultural Institute runs beginner and intermediate courses, indeed it's where most hiberno-italian families send their kids to keep up the lingo.

I'm told that italian is not a terribly difficult language to get a working knowledge of, but due to it's grammatical complexity it is difficult to master.Your existing knoweldge of Spanish vocabulary and French grammer will help you though.

Living/working in Italy is, needless to say, the best way to learn the language and TEFL-ing is the easiest way for an English speaker to get by there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Would love to go to classes, but I've got a funny feeling that the Institute doesn't hold any in my neck of the woods (Donegal). I was in Venice for a week, and got by in Italian fine after doing a few chapters of a Teach Yourself Italian book. It wasn't too hard once I figured out how to italianise a French or Spanish word :) The grammar was a bit different, but after figuring out the articles and how they merged with the prepositions it wasn't too bad. That and the verb endings. A lot more complicated than Spanish, a bit more complicated than French, but hey, much easier than Irish (agam, agat, aige..)

Seriously though, I'd love to head out TEFLing, but still have to save the €1000 or so that it costs to do the blooming course.

As for the Italianissimo course, the programmes are:

Monday 4.00am-5.00am - Units 1-4
    Tuesday 4.00am-5.00am - Units 5-8
    Wednesday 4.00am-5.00am - Units 9-12
    Thursday 4.00am-5.00am - Units 13-16
    Friday 4.00am-5.00am - Units 17-20

Italianissimo website:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/languages/italian/issimo/

It's available in Eason's in Derry to buy, so I guess it is in Dublin too, but just in case it's also on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0563362332/ref=pd_sim_b_dp/202-6521971-2583807

Set the video but forgot to press the timer button so missed last night/this morning's progs. I'm quite impressed with what I've seen so far though. I was really surprised with how much I could understand, though it was much easier with the (Italian) subtitles :)

Where is everyone, by the way? È quasi morto questo foro..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you are interested in TEFL in Italy there is usually plenty of work. Salaries can vary considerably, but, as a rule, they tend to be higher in the north.
    If you are looking for work try Dave's ESL cafe or TEFL.com

• Advertisement

I've done my TEFL course and would love to go teach in Italy, but I've heard it on good authority and from several sources that it's one of the worst places for TEFL teachers to go :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It depends on what you mean by 'bad'. There are a lot of cowboys operating in the market, but it's not all bad believe me

Advertisement