Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Networks? (Newbie Question)

Options
  • 12-09-2002 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hey guys maybe you can help with a question.

Existing network - Unix server with PCs networked to it by wires.

Would it be possible to simultainsly set up a NT server with it serving the same PCs with a wireless network?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i'm sure its possible.. although every PC would then have two network cards surely? (ethernet & 802.11) and things could get very complicated very quickly :)

the main question would be why?
    whats running on the nt-wireless server thats needed?

i can only think of the case where dhcp could just be run on the nt machine to service wireless-capable laptops and leave the existing network structure alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Thanks Kali

This is actually for a friend who's trying to set something up.

The Unix network needs to stay and feed the PCs an orignal accounts program (written for them). My friend needs to use those same PCs to be able to access a windows only program from a windows server. This could be wireless or wired (we just though wireless would cause less phyical disturbance). I guess a better question is can windows and unix sit on the same network? and could the PCs access both at the same time?

atgate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by atgate
    I guess a better question is can windows and unix sit on the same network? and could the PCs access both at the same time?
    Lots of networks have a mix of unix and NT.

Just set up the NT server like you would another PC on the network and enable whatever server options you need. You probably don't want to set up a domain controller if this is already being handled on the Unix box.

I take it the PCs are currently running some sort of Windows already.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

That's exactly what I needed to know, thanks a million guys.

Atgate :)

Advertisement