Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom complaint.....

Options
  • 12-09-2002 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Although not related to IrelandOFFLine, it does mean I have no internet access at home, and its a good old bitch at eircom

To whom it may concern,

I am yet another dissatisfied Eircom customer. Way back on July 2nd 2002, I ordered my phone line to be installed. After 8 weeks of waiting and contacting the infamous "Wait 4 hours" 1901, I finally received the news I was waiting for, the phone line would be installed this week. (this was 2 weeks ago).
    That week came and went, so Eircom had missed the first appointment. So I phoned 1901 again, I got "Yes Mr. Midgley, your phone line will be installed later this week", at the same time I decided to order the ISDN, seeing that Broadband is a) too expensive and b)not available to normal households!!!. The order was taken for the ISDN, and there was me sitting at home, waiting for the Orange and Blue van to come round and install everything for me, days went by, I was into week 10 now (this week).
    Still no phone line, so I phoned again, and i got "The service will be available this week", "OK" I said, what about the ISDN, she said "What ISDN?" "There is no order for that service, just a phone line!!” So I ordered again.
    I jumped for joy yesterday when I received a call from Eircom to say the phone line is now active and working, he gave me the number, 045 XXX XXX, I rang it from work, and it worked fine, at last people could contact me, I could speak to the world (if I wanted to). But oh I was disappointed when I got home, it didn't work, simply no dial tone. So I rang the "Faults" department, only to be told, "I can't do anything its after 6pm" and then hung up on. I rang back called 1901 and spoke to sales, spoke to and elderly gentleman, who was having difficulty telling the difference between the keyboard and mouse (maybe you should get that giant RAT in to help on 1901, he may be quicker). So I rang again, to be finally helped and told the phone line would have to be ordered again, OK I said, another 10 weeks I said and we both laughed, at least she had a sense of humor!!. So I decided to ring customer services this morning, regarding my compliant, only to be abused my what can only be described by the rudest thing on the phone, she said and I quote "I don't take complaints until your phone line works", OK can I register a complaint regarding the length and rudeness of eircom, her reply "No, not yet" and then hung up.

My original order number is XXXXXXXX

From this I would like some re-imbursement regarding the attitude and length/time it has taken Eircom to provide what can only be described as an essential service in today’s business. I would also like to know how long it would take eircom to install a phone line that works!!

I look forward to your prompt reply

Many thanks in advance

Hope you like, I will of course update when I get a reply!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I would send at least three letters, first a letter of a complaint to Eircom. Write in the letter more or less what you have put in this post, phrase it more elequentily and explain the timeline more clearily.

Write a similar letter to the ODTR (www.odtr.ie), tell them you are writing to them to highlight the poor level of service you recieved from the incumbent operator.

Write a similar letter again to the ODCA (www.odtr.ie) explaining that you payed xyz for such a poor level of service and that their is alternative telecoms operator that you can go, and that you are absolutely at your wits end.

Also at the very end if you are arsed, send a few similar letters off to you local td's and see what you get back. Then when you are done, 2 weeks after you send the letters, we will have a look at what you got back. We can then use your case to highlight the poor state of residential telecoms in Ireland. We will put an article up on the website, with copies of all the letter you got back, a nice picture of you and your story. Media loves this type of spin ... how would you feel about it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The second link should probably be: http://www.odca.ie/

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gmidgely

Sounds great, only a slight problem, I work for a sub-sidory of Eircom, dont think the bosses would be too pleased at me advertising that Eircom is "Not so good"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Go MDR.

This is a perfect ilustration of some of the problems we have to deal with. It's funny but it seems that when you are dealing with a company because you have no choice, the staff can be a bit rude. This is unacceptable.
    I know it is a lot of hassle & work gmidgely but what MDR has outlined is exactly what is needed. The more people who let their telecom provider*, the odtr, their TD's and the newspapers know their horror stories, the better chance we have of being heard. People need to know that it does not have to be this way.

*Shoddy service is the one thing that eircom do not have a monopoly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Took me three months, about 50 phone calls and two letters to Alfie Kanes office before I got my second line in :/

And that was before they were privately owned!

*sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gmidgely

Seems like the louder you scream the faster people seem to work. I have received 5 phone calls from Eircom in the last 2 hours regarding the service. I have an engineer there this evening working on it, and also another one coming tomorrow to fit the ISDN which was again ordered today. Speed or what, still no apology (apart from the engineer), so by 10am tomorrow, I will be connected with ISDN, i wait in anticipation to see this happening!! As always I will keep you updated........

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Sounds great, only a slight problem, I work for a sub-sidory of Eircom, dont think the bosses would be too pleased at me advertising that Eircom is "Not so good"!!

Thats very unfornate, it would be a bad idea to comprise you employment especially under current economic circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by gmidgely
    Seems like the louder you scream the faster people seem to work. I have received 5 phone calls from Eircom in the last 2 hours regarding the service. I have an engineer there this evening working on it, and also another one coming tomorrow to fit the ISDN which was again ordered today. Speed or what, still no apology (apart from the engineer), so by 10am tomorrow, I will be connected with ISDN, i wait in anticipation to see this happening!! As always I will keep you updated........

Gary

The problem is, that you're only being looked after because you've become a pain in the ar$e. Elsewhere around the country they'll be treating customers like sh!t, the way they always do.

I have never seen a company in my life which

a. Treats customers with more contempt
    b. Denies any form of responsibility
    c. Moves staff around more rapidly
    d. Looses more paperwork

than Eircom

Q. How do you tell if it's someones first week at Eircom.
    A. They call you back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

heh, had the same prob myself. paid the rat too late once and they d/c'd me. so I sent off the cash and rang them..

Eircom: "It'll be about 2 weeks before we can reconnect you"
    Me: "I bet esat could do it quicker"

Needless to say, I had the phone working again pretty quick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The one time that my Isdn line went down just a few weeks after it being installed they had an engineer out the next day to sort it out. This was also during an Ireland match on TV and he still arrived bang on time and had the issue sorted in 10 minites.

Cablelink/NTL are fúckers to get out. They mixed up a letter they got from some punk and disconected my cable :(

After much arguing with some stupid bitch about wheither I sent in the letter or not she finialy agreed to send a engineer out to fix the problem, tho this was after screaming down the line to her that my name was not keith something or other and I didnt live in Tallaght. Took them 5 days to get someone out to reconnect the cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by gmidgely
    After 8 weeks of waiting and contacting the infamous .......

I may be wrong, again, but isn't there some sort of customer charter crap that promises a reward (sorry credit) if it takes more than xx days to install a line??? I remember getting that once when i was living in wicklow and ordered a line and this ould one in customer services told me it would talk longer cause i didn't live in dublin and wasn't i lucky to be getting anything at all and i lost it and went on a "venom" type rant. Anyway, the next day this stupid customer charter thing arrived in the post. the fu****** line didnt arrive, but the charter thing did. so i phoned up and it was like oh no problem mr. rebel we will of course give you the credit. haha and the line arrived that afternoon.

shower of w*nke*s (not including you babes, even if you are employed by them)

Originally posted by Occidental

Q. How do you tell if it's someones first week at Eircom.
    A. They call you back

i love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

For want of something better to do <grin> I braved the evil empire's website and run a search for customer charter.

"Search results

No matches were found for 'customer charter'"

No surprises here ....

Originally posted by morgana
    For want of something better to do <grin> I braved the evil empire's website and run a search for customer charter.

"Search results

No matches were found for 'customer charter'"

No surprises here ....

Did a bit of hunting, its called the Eircom Customer Services Guarantee
    From the Website
    6. eircom customer service guarantee
    eircom also operates a customer service guarantee. This service guarantee is operated in parallel with the code of practice for handling customer complaints. It is provided for within the service guarantee that where eircom does not meet certain target dates for installation and fault clearance a customer may be entitled to a rebate.

Details of this service guarantee can be seen in the eircom phonebook. You can contact our customer service guarantee centre on 1800 400 000 in relation to complaints or claims of this nature.

With typical Eircom efficiency and attention to detail, checking the phonebook yeilds an almost wordperfect repeat of the above, and nothing more. But I do know that there are specific monetary compenstion abounts for delayed installations and repairs. Worth a call to the 1800 number anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

On page 19 of my 2000/2001 Eircom Phone Book under Eircom Customer Service Gaurentee 1800 400 000

Quick Connection
    When you order a new line from Eircon we gaurentee that the line will be installed when you require it or withen 10 working days of our agreeing to do so. If we do not meet this deadline you can claim a credit of two months free rental which will appear on your next phone bill.

Go kick Eircon's BUTT! and tell them what ASS*oles they are and DEMAND! your right's. Page 19 worth reading :)

OHP

Advertisement