Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma Hayes gig

Options
  • 12-09-2002 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Was anyone out there see Gemma Hayes in Whelans last night?? I have a ticket for tonight and am wondering what to expect...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

Hey,
    I have a mate who went last night and said it was excellent.
    And I'm going tomorrow night.... so you can give me a second opinion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 starla

I saw her in Spirit a couple of months ago and she was excellent, played nearly every song from the album. I'm not too sure about the venue though, it was all seated so there was no mad leapin' or jumping around. Might be a bit more atmosphere in whelans tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Achille

yeah,
    Im going tonight with 2 friends. it should be really good, I wasnt at Spirit, but I saw her at the last two Witnness gigs.

and since I dont have to get up for college tomorrow, i might hang around for Phantasm too, by god its been a while.

I missed her at witnnes, thought she cancelled cos of the floods or something :confused: It's all a bit of a blur really, that whole weekend.
    I forgot about Phantasm....yay for whelans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Yeah, I was at her in Whelans last night. Good gig! BIG crowd, which meant it was impossible to get to the bar! I don't have any of her stuff, but the most memorable song for me was the "Aren't you the Lucky One" (or something like that!) song, which was awesome. It should be a good night, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭NÏTRÔ²º¹³¦-&#22

there wont be any problem getting in, in regards to the amount of ppl going, will there? i heard on pphantom that its wise to get tickets asap. im heading tomorrow night. (think red hat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

aparently she requested that tickets be limited to keep
    the atmosphere intimate......nothing worse than a stuffed
    whelans!
    i'll be there friday, haven't seen here since the album release,
    lookin forward to singin along.

class act

great gig! Best song I thought was a new one, starts off really quiet, with something about her cousin having a baby (?). I hadnt seen her since the album launch either, and i thought last nights gig was way better. She seemed way more relaxed and any of the new songs she did were really good. I dont know how limited the ticket numbers were though, cos whelans was jammed. Think all the tickets are sold out for tonight too.

Woo!

last nights gig was brilliant, the crowd were really good. it was fairly full but not overly-packed, I didnt mind though, as soon as we got in, we went straight to my favourite back corner. Haha!

Starla, she did cancel the proper performance at Witnness this year, because of the fabled sinky stage, but I caught her in the Acoustic tent in treatment, it was good. Not many songs though.

And Wacker, that song is called "Lucky One (Bird Of Cassadaga)" and I think its the best one on the album. My two friends that I brought with me, hadnt heard much of Gemma before, but they're both buying the album now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

fridays gig was brilliant as well, fair play to her for playin
    in cosy whelans for 3 nights instead of one of the bigger venues
    where the intimacy is killed.
    much better when you can stand at the back of the venue and still manage an exchange of words with the artist, though she
    never did answer my question as to why the brilliant "stop the wheel" song isn't on her album!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

wasnt at her gigs but was in phantasm after her thursday gig and heard many mixed reviews but also heard that graham hopkins ex therapy is drumming for her now. thats a bit of a step down isnt it from destroying the drum kit with therapy to fairly m.o.r. drumming on her tracks.

much better view thought from a hairy, sweaty andy jumping up and down infront of you to a sultry sweaty sexy gemma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

hopper's a solo artist these days...

but he also lends his drumming skills to those less fortunate...

what a man!!

and I dont mean that in a good way.

yeah, they gave the Merucry prize to friggin Ms Dynamite. How crappy. I wouldnt have minded if they gave it to anybody else but her.
    Those Mercury people really do like to surprise people, but they shouldnt do it in a bad way.

oh well.
    ...next time.

Considering all those songs by people like Ashanti feat. Jah Rule, Jah Rule feat. Ashanti, J-Lo feat. Jah Rule (have i mentioned Ashanti yet?) seemed to clean up at the MTV Video Awards, I guess the Mercury Music people were just going along with popular demand. They do say that it's the kiss of death for artists who win it, so maybe that's the last we'll hear from Ms Dynamite, or am I being too hopeful....

I listened to the coverage of the awards on Radio 1 and Gemma had a little interview and played "Let a good thing go" it sounded excellent. She made an interesting point that she's the first Irish person to be nominated since U2 and the first Irish woman ever!!! I wouldnt expect anything less from a Tipperary girl :)

Advertisement