Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU Regulatory Regime & New Broadband Data to be discussed at ODTR Conference

Options
  • 12-09-2002 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

New EU Regulatory Regime & New Broadband Data to be discussed at ODTR Conference
    Leading figures from the Irish telecommunications industry along with regional and governmental representatives will have the opportunity next Thursday 19th September 2002 to hear influential telecomms and regulatory experts present new research on the future delivery of broadband in Ireland and to discuss the new EU Regulatory Framework at the forthcoming ODTR national conference.
    Entitled Regulatory Challenges and Opportunities for the ICT Sector-New EU Framework, New Market Perspectives, the conference will examine the impact of the new EU Directives, which must be implemented by next July, on the ICT industry in Ireland. Peter Scott from the European Commission will brief delegates as to the changes to come while the Telecoms Regulator Etain Doyle will interpret their impact on the Irish Market. David Cleevely, Chairman of Analysys Consultants and a member of the UK Cabinet subcommittee on e-commerce will examine new market perspectives and competition issues for the sector.
    The ODTR has commissioned both MRBI and Ovum to carry out new research on broadband delivery and all its implications to further inform the debate in Ireland. Ian McShane of MRBI will present this new data on the demand profiles for broadband and internet usage while the costing and technological issues involved will be assessed by Stewart Anderton of Industry Consultants Ovum.
    The ODTR is particularly pleased that world renowned telecommunications expert, Professor Eli Noam will deliver the key note address. Eli Noam is Professor of Economics and Finance at Columbia Business School and Director of the Columbia Institute for Tele-Information. He has researched and published extensively on global telecommunications and regulation and expresses the view that interconnection prices are to the telecoms sector what interest rates are to economic policy i.e. it is the key variable that determines the health of operators. Professor Noam advocates a new departure in regulatory philosophy and his views will certainly be interesting.
    For further information, please contact:
    Deirdre Healy, Public Affairs Manager

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

On contacting the ODTR it appears IOFFL have been invited to this one, so stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by ralphaverbuch
    New EU Regulatory Regime & New Broadband Data to be discussed at ODTR Conference................

discussions...... yawn,
    conferences................ yawn,
    press releases............ yawn, yawn,
    eircon bills............... yawn, ouch, yawn

i'd love to give the whole lot of them a few pick-axes and send them out to dig a few holes in quaker road and plant a few dsl cables. better than all their ould yacking and good for their health too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I'm hopeful that the data revealed at this conference will be most beneficial to the cause! I know, I know swings and roundabouts, spirals and turns! But the conference is to showcase the results of some serious investigation into areas IOFFL were anxious to see covered, and could be perhaps the most relevant presentation yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Although i am happy to see IOFFL will be represented... it all seems a bit of a drag.. when we all know what the problem is..
    ercom! (yawn....)
    all these other people are simply distractining them self`s from the root of the problem with all these discussions. semiars bla de bla, just so it seems there doing something when infact its all non-productive..

The only people i know that are! doing anything and being productive/Pro-active are the people involve in IOFFL, the rest are simply window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

all these other people are simply distractining them self`s from the root of the problem with all these discussions. semiars bla de bla, just so it seems there doing something when infact its all non-productive..

These are the people who can take action if motivate, these are the people we need to convince, these are the people we need to engage in dialog with, this how they do business, we want something from them so we fight on their terms for the the time being.

• Advertisement
Advertisement