Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for system to patch a program over the Internet

Options
  • 12-09-2002 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

I deal with a company in the US that updates a fairly large program over the internet. The market for the program is very non-technical. They have a neat-o update system that downloads the next version of the program, ends the current run, swaps and renames stuff, and restarts.

All well and good, no hands on required from the user.

It's just that it is a large and painful download.

I want to move them towards a patch solution, where only the differences are downloaded, and patched against the existing code.

I've looked into gnu diff/patch, but that raises all sorts of licensing issues, and I don't want to go there. This is a commercial program, and I doubt they'd be willing to go that route.

Anybody know of any solutions?

rgds

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Symantic live update?

gnu diff/patch should be ok to use as long as your not using the sources in your program? Calling to a compiled diff/patch should be fine?

And that you supply the gnu diff/patch sources with your software? Read the license agreement. Might not be as restrictive as you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Hmm, Symantec Live Update available for third parties?

/me looks interested....

Let's toddle along to the site and look.

Arg.

Can't seem to find any mention of it.

/me shrugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

The only other program I know of that would do the job is rsync I have used it multiple times on projects and it is used on production systems for a large multinational bank that im currently working for. It is GNU but it is highly effective and efficient. Its worth looking into.

Hmm, thanks :)

/me takes a gander.

I don't think that's gonna do it, though. It's for synchronising/backing up unix filesystems, rather than the application I am thinking of.

Our program is a win32 app btw.

'sfunny, just can't find anything anywhere.

Click Help -> update program
    It downloads the patch file
    exits the program
    applies the patch
    restarts

You'd think it was simple.

grump :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

A game update I installed recently (Black and White, I think) used something called RTPatch, which appears to be from Pocket Soft Inc.... otherwise, there's always GNU Patch, as Hobbes said, which would probably work out a touch cheaper...?

Gadget

• Advertisement

Thats the job, rtpatch.

Coolies :)

Of course, now that I have been shown one solution to my problem, I come across another. :rolleyes:

Sheesh.

The internet KNOWS when you're looking for something, and fluffing HIDES it! Under a flippin mat somewhere, probably! :mad:

Anyway, if anyone else is interested, here you go:

Visual Patch
    http://www.indigorose.com/products/visual_patch1.php

True Update
    http://www.indigorose.com/products/true_update1.php

Ah well, I found what I was looking for. Yay! :D

Advertisement