Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving Cert irish

Options
  • 12-09-2002 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Folks

I am contemplating doing the higher in the leaving cert in Irish, as I want to be a primary school teacher, well hope to be.

I have a good level of Irish but as I am from the North, I never really had to pursue it at school, I was wondering where I might go to seek advice on this... get in touch with Dept of edu ? Get an answer here ? Contact local schools ?

any answers welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

From the Irish National Teachers Organisation website
    How do I become a recognised primary school teacher in Ireland?
    In order to become a recognised primary school teacher in Ireland, it is necessary to hold a B.Ed. qualification from one of the Colleges of Education. One applies to the Colleges of Education through the CAO system.

The minimum requirement for entry into the Colleges of Education includes a minimum of three honours at Leaving Certificate level.

One of these honours must be in Irish. A minimum of a grade D on an honours paper or a grade B at ordinary level is required in English and a pass in Mathematics at either level. Full details are available from the Colleges of Education. (Addresses listed below).

At present a graduate diploma is available to enable graduates to become qualified primary school teachers. You should contact St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin 9 for further information.

The INTO anticipates that employment prospects for teachers will remain good for the next few years.

Prospective applicants for places in Colleges of Education should contact the appropriate colleges for precise details of entry requirements and procedures, which may be subject to change from time to time.

The link in Google to that quote turned up 404, but thanks to the wonders of the GoogleCache we can see what is no longer there. It gives a bit more info. It's probably still on the INTO site, just couldn't be bothered searching! Good luck!

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:PuTHejBf414C:www.into.ie/policy/information/primteachbecome.html+entry+requirements+teacher+irish+st.+patrick%27s+dublin&hl=ga&ie=UTF-8&client=googlet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

many thanks

does any one know, where you might get info on the leaving cert, any of the colleges I have looked at only do ordinary and foundation level Irish, I need some where that will do higher, I have emailed the Dept of education, but if i can get the answer here all the better

thanks again

Originally posted by paddyc
    does any one know, where you might get info on the leaving cert, any of the colleges I have looked at only do ordinary and foundation level Irish, I need some where that will do higher, I have emailed the Dept of education, but if i can get the answer here all the better

What way do you want to do the leaving certicate? Are you going to go to school here, or do you want to do it alongside A Levels as the sole Leaving Cert subject? If you are going to school then all schools should offer Higher Level Irish.

Rossan College in Letterkenny (Co. Donegal) do intensive revision courses. If you want to find out what the Leaving Certificate paper is like, you should get your hands on some past papers which are widely available in the Republic at least.

If you want information on the syllabus then have a look at the Department of Education's Leaving/Junior Cert Site:
    http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=10900&category=10900&feature=post_primary&sectionpage=&language=EN#

If you are going to study yourself, then you should be able to register to sit the paper in a school convenient to you. In that case you would get the application form to do the Leaving from that school in the Autumn term.

Forgot to include the link to Rossan College:

http://www.rossan.com/

Advertisement