Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another OS question(XP to 2k)

• 12-09-2002 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

If you have a computer with XP on it, is it easy to change the os to win2k.I have a copy of 2k but I have absolutely no idea of how to put one os on instead of another.
    Is it easy or is there a site or something that people can point me to, to give a run down on how to do this stuff.
    I hear autocad 2000 wont run on xp and I need that to run, and is there issues with hardware(i.e. cdrw/dvd's) that might crop up if I switch.
    Once again,
    thanks lads/lassies;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Don't know if XP will make this harder than it is but anyway:

Get partition magic or similar and create a new partition in the free space on your hard drive.
    Install win2k (via bootable cd) on that partition... at least then you'll be able to test Autocad in 2000 without getting rid of XP (should you wish to go back to it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

wipe xp
    and pop on win2k then sp3 then ie 5.5
    very stable combination

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tele

Whats sp3?
    and I was wondering more if ther would be a problem doing it, or would any of the hardware be set up for xp an not work with win2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

sp3= Service Pack 3
    Your going to need sp's 1 and 2 first though (i think), quite a bit of downloading!!

Recommend follow GUI_XP's suggestion. Windows doesnt like reverting to older versions, try putting a win98 disk into a WinME system, it disables the setup/Install option!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Each Service pack from Ms has all the fixes of the previous Service Packs that came before it. SP3 (the full version) is 130mb ~ and will fix everything on win2k and it will introduce some horrible new features:) very XP like infact. But if you stay with SP2 and update your browser and oor other MS products you will be fine.
    Honkey dorey as someone once said :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

If you have w2kpro sp1 or sp2 installed it doesn't matter sp3 is about 30mb and get it here . Choose the express install option.The 130mb download mentioned by flamegrill includes all the upgrades to w2k server blah blah blah....which you won't need if your using w2k at home.
    it will introduce some horrible new features very XP like infact. But if you stay with SP2 and update your browser and oor other MS products you will be fine.
    Honkey dorey as someone once said

Just turn off the auto update feature in the control panel to get rid of the "XP" features, sorted. As for updating your browser etc thats always a good idea;)

Advertisement