Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is barry a dumb ass?

Options
  • 12-09-2002 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

So. Is Barry a dumb ass? (You can't block me from this forum Barry! Hahaha!)

This question is based on something he said earlier today. He claimed that there were no good authors from Ireland. I said that there were a lot and mentioned Oscar Wilde and Yeats. Guess what he said? He said that nobody outside of Ireland had ever heard about them! What a dumb ass!

Is Barry a dumbass? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    55% 5 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    44% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

this is spam. have you benn READING the recent threads??

at least have a relevent name and poll. no-one cares about barry. have something to do with authers. better yet, you could have posted this in the yeats thread

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

First of all, just because the poll is a bit stupid it doesn't mean that the topic isn't relevant. Everybody knows that Wilde and Yeats are world famous. I'm just using Barry as an example of how ignorant people are of what's going on in the world.

And secondly, less and less people are posting here. We're going through a winter slowdown. At least I'm posting something, better it be spam in the opinion of some than nothing in the opinion of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ok... the whole thing with people not posting and getting more people to post is to encourage them to post decent stuff.

Already more than one person has been scared off the board from the recent spout of utter bs that's taken over here.

So... personal grudges aren't that funny... unless it's me making fun of ian. :D in which case it's always hilarious.

In fact let's laugh at ian right now. :)

Who's Ian? Oh well, I'll laugh anyway. Hahahahaha.

And the Barry thing isn't a personal grudge. We're really friends, just we try our best to make each other look stupid.

Whereas ian and myself are lesbian goldfish like lovers...

YES!!!

And thanks for the support in the laughing... my throat was getting raw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

That's it! No gold boats for anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ohh dear fucking god :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Hmm...
    Fiiioooo..lock,lock,lock...
    Jesus..can you two keep your petty insult fights somewhere others aren't bothered my them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

First of all, Nothing at all is better than pointless spam. now, if you were to have called this thread "authors" and not gone on about Barry (are you two lovers by any chance?) this would actually be maybe interesting. Spam annoys people, and by doing this, you're annoying people. taking petty arguments to boards and posting ****e like "Guess who's a dumbass?" and "Isnt Green Hand Guy An ass fingering Muppet" Are just fecking muppetish. Maybe, you are, maybe you arent, but i'd rather not spend my precious internet time reading bull**** of this terrible quality.

Also, Sven, if you're reprimanding someone on a point like this, keep it serious, cus otherwise they may think you're completely joking rather than just laughing at Ian (which while a fun pasttime is always better in person rather than online)
    And secondly, less and less people are posting here. We're going through a winter slowdown. At least I'm posting something, better it be spam in the opinion of some than nothing in the opinion of all.

First of all, it is spam in the opinion of EVERYONE! Secondly, this is not a winter slowdown, this summer was just Bull****-spam-extrava-****ing-ganza and it boards is now closer to its normal posts - per - few days Count.

The fact is that a winter slowdown would imply that people were posting here, but they werent posting, they were acting the ****ing muppet. There is a huge fecking difference. We have all tried our best to cut down on spam and spamming and muppetry and trolling and the like, and it has worked, and then you post and undo that. Thanks.

Due to the number of expletives in this message, it should not have been viewed by small children, animals, or anyone at all

that's it neil!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd post something of similar length, but my attention span isn't long enough. oh well. hope everyone (i mean everyone) learns a lesson from this. if something is remotely spammish, it should have an equal amount of something serious in it, not about 2 words as an excuse to slag someone. or it should at least be funny enough that it can be appreciated by all, without the wish to castrate, and/or in other ways toture someone. [/rant]

• Advertisement

I'd just like to make the point that the only time that I insult Conor is at the bottom of meaningful posts and on MSN Messenger. I don't dedicate entire threads and posts to insulting him any more. Plus I spend my time at ctyizens as opposed to here.

Fine then! I'm fed up of this oppression of my freedom of speech! I'll go and make my own forum where people can spam as much as they like! I happen to like spam (not the canned meat)! And if this is so stupid then why do you bother posting or voting? It just keeps it near the top!

Ummm...... How do you make a forum?

Ah, screw it. I'm too lazy.

I know the answer! Fire! Lots of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

Originally posted by Green Hand Guy
    Fine then! I'm fed up of this oppression of my freedom of speech! I'll go and make my own forum where people can spam as much as they like!

bring dukman with you

*applauds neil*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

bring dukman with you

:mad:

Don't worry. Conor is too much of a dumbass to be able to program vbulletin. I had to tell him what an ISP is today.

Good call aideen. :)

lol

I was going to join ctyizens just to mock the silly name <or am i the only one to have disliked that term> and the silly layout. But I (despite ALL the evidence to the contrary) am not a troll... Well.. I *AM* a troll but I'm a one bridge troll if ya know what i mean. ;p

So yes... GO! GO TO LAND OF ABANDONMENTISH! but remember why that was set up: A). Bob was bored; B). EVERYONE was sick of all the bs here.

And yeah... I dunno... Ian and me used to do this stuff ALL the time <although I don't remember starting threads bout it> so I can't go hard on him too much...

Stupid mysterious past catching up on me... <mutter grumble>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I haven't read this thread, and I only came across it by pure chance as it was on the boards homepage just as I logged on.
    The title drew my attention and my immediate thought was "what fncking muppetry is this then?".
    Boards.ie really isn't the place for petty squabbles.
    I'm going to expose myself here and assume that the two parties in question..."Green Hand Guy" and a mysterious "barry"... are both young and of above average mucker intellect.
    To call someone a "dumbass" because they think Ireland has no decent writers or that no-one has heard of them is a rediculous term.
    Of course, all generalisations are false by definition, but to a similar degree they are also partially correct.
    There are quite a lot of people who i imagine have never heard of Oscar Wilde or Yeats.
    I certainly hadn't heard of them till they were gang pressed upon me during school.
    An tbh, I've read a bit of Wilde, I don't particularly enjoy his work, I have personal taste in different subject matter and Yeats, though eloquent bores the living piss outta me.
    If you want to rant about authors, take it to the Literature boards, or better still, join a debating society/group.
    Oh, wait a second...even better...organise a glove slapping match where you two ahve to stand in a cirle and repeatedly quote appropriate lines of literature to wittily illustrate your point while flaying the skin off each other with wire mesh gloves.
    And charge people for the privelidge.
    Christ, I'd even run the books for ye if ye want.

Grow up and leave this shíte behind ye ffs.

tbh tbh

listen to the man!! this is the image of the ctyi boards to all!!! a seething pit of teen angst and spam! pm's are there so you can hold private conversations/arguments without pissing off the rest of boards.ie. i'd continue this rant, but i'm bored of it. i don't really want to waste my... i'd say breath, but i'll stick to time... talking to pathetic losers who just torment everyone else for their petty amusement/squabbles.
    [/rant, again]

*takes deep, cleansing breath...*

My god, what's wrong with all you people? Do any of you have a sense of fun or humour or are your heads shoved too far us your wannabe gothic asses to hear what's going on in the world?!? I'm not forcing any of you to read this. On the contrary, I recommended that you ignore it and let it die out. Loosen up and stop obsessing over one stupid thread just because you don't like it! During CTYI people would laugh at my childish hijinx, as I can clearly see none of those people are here now. Probably driven off by the total oppression of anything that isn't a complaint about the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

oh lets see.. start a new poll and have "is Green Hand Guy a total wanker?"

I dont see the point as we all know what the answer is :rolleyes:

Real mature Practical. Look, I posted this thinking it might get a laugh or two. I realise now that it didn't. JUST LET IT GO!

Originally posted by Practical
    oh lets see.. start a new poll and have "is Green Hand Guy a total wanker?"

I would, but I wish to keep the moral high ground and say hah, now everybody hates you Conor!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

now, i don't want to sound like some sort of american spiritual leader but...
    WILL EVERYONE JUST CHILL THE **** OUT?????
    it's a poll/thread, on a forum, on a website. i am shuddering at the insignificance.

it doesn't matter.
    your man was only looking for a laugh and i'm sure he got it from people who got the joke. just cos a few people didn't doesn't mean ya'all have to go ape****

You wouldn't say that if you were the one being called a dumbass.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

oh sorry, see i only skimmed over the thread and there was all these people bascially waving their fingers and calling that other dude a muppet and no-one was standing up for him.

perhaps he is a muppet, or a spanner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Connor, the reason everyone flamed this was to teach you a lesson. People want to come on here, read stuff from their friends, maybe even post something of interest. Now, if we hadnt posted to this, seeing as you were posting it trying to get people to post, are you saying that you wouldn't have gone and posted another thread trying to get people to post? This way we doubt you'll do it again :D

Sorry if my yokey was harsh, but i was in a ****e mood anyway. and if you're allowed post up a topic about someone else, we should be allowed flame it about you. So Neeeh! :)

I think the entire thing being debated here is the idea that this board has been classed as a board solely for muppets and n00bs and various other idiots. Basically, it's a matter of winning back the people who post interesting and witty <with a larger appeal> stuff. The fact that two board regulars who aren't actually ctyiers came and made fun of all involved just shows how embarrassing it's getting for fio to admit to running this show. ;p

MANY people left here cause of the mass amounts of ... idiocy <only way i can think of putting it> going on here. And now, finally when it looks like it's getting better conor here comes on and decides that he hasn't gotten enough shiny new posts to read so why not bring back the good ol' days of rubbish! yay. <oh god... that's so sarcastic even i'm amazed>

Personally, I'm not bashing him. We've all gone through the stage of wanting to get involved in the debate but not having anything constructive <or humourous> to say. Hell, I enjoyed making fun of ian and i wouldn't have had the chance without this.

But seriously all, give it a rest. There's a certain amount of joking and there's a certain amount of sincerity and topical stuff to post... But there's just no room for complete shíte here. Once in a while ok... but give it a rest for a few weeks at least. I for one am sick of having to go past "What I'm buying", "Is so-and-so a this-and-that", "THE concert", and other crap. I'd rather see topics about random stuff like "Yeats" or SOMETHING that at least is open to INTELLIGENT <or at least humourous> debate. Without knowing barry or conor i can't state whether either are idiots.. but guessing from this forums title i'm going to wager neither... But if you HAD asked whether ducks are better than chickens or coke is better than pepsi i'd have definitely jumped in to support ducks and coke, rather than whining and then making fun of ian.

Ok... I've completely failed to get my argument across, but hopefully my point will be made and we can look forward to a decrease in posts but a significant increase in quality.

Or am i being stupidly optimistic?

<And conor, don't get so defensive. People are attacking this thread, not you>

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Yes. No more Ian-bashing. Its awfully hurtful.

}:>

• Advertisement

Quiet you.

Advertisement