Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

History Repeating

• 12-09-2002 7:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Ireland havent had the best European Championships record. To date, we have only qualified for one tournament, in 1988. We have missed out on 92, 96, 2000 and all other European Championships before 1988.

After Italy '90, we missed '92. After USA '94, we failed to qualify for Euro '96(Playoff against Netherlands)and, lastly, we failed to qualify for Euro 2000(Playoff against Belgium)

Following the defeat to Russia, I have contemplated the that "Tournament Fatigue" may undo us, or just downright bad luck.(You Chose)

Do you think that, yet again, Ireland will not qualify, adding another miserable chapter to the national team and the Euro Championships? Or Do you believe that the Russia match was just a setback, that Ireland will correct itself, and advance, for the first time in 16 years?

Can Ireland qualify for Portugal 2004? 30 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    80% 24 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    20% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cant see us not qualifying from the group. russia are almost certain to slip up a few times away from home, and will certainly drop more points than we will, if we play remotely well consistantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

The Swiss have a very young and exciting side. I fancy them to win the group, with Ireland or Russia scrapping for second spot. The Russians have the edge on us already.

I can see this Ireland team slipping up in Georgia and Albania. But with Russia threatening to take military action against Georgia for sheltering Chechen rebels, all hell could break loose in this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

IMO - I think we'll top the group with the Swiss taking second place...

We needed a wake-up call after the world cup, which we got against the Russians....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I think Switzerland will win the group with us and Russia fighting for second,the Plat offs will be alot harder this time as it's against European oppostion :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We can still qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

****...forgot my own view.

Mick McCarthy has an excellent hand of Cards at his disposal. Sure, so too do the Swiss and Russians. Nobody can deny this. However, we have something else. I feel, Ireland will qualify. I'm not at all as pessimistic as my initial post may have suggested.

In truth, I couldnt have asked for a better start. "Against the wall" all over again. This time however, we are more than up to the challenge that the Swiss, Russians, Georgians and Albanians wont get a repeat performance of the 4-2 thrasing in Moscow.

Great Hand Mick, just dont mess up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Do not be too disheartened by the Russian defeat, im not quite sure what the statistic is but Russia have lost very few times at home in the past 15 years(France being one of the only teams i can think of and they scraped together a 3rd goal to win it 3-2, this was in their prime just after 98).

Will we qualify, im doubtful, we can't rely on russia slipping up as poor as their defence is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Samba
    Do not be too disheartened by the Russian defeat, im not quite sure what the statistic is but Russia have lost very few times at home in the past 15 years(France being one of the only teams i can think of and they scraped together a 3rd goal to win it 3-2, this was in their prime just after 98).

USSR/Russia's competitive home record is as follows

P W-D-L F-A
    80 66-13-1 210-41

Noteable stats

Their only defeat was (as the guy said)
    10/10/1998 Russia 2 - 3 France

Ireland have lost 4 out of 4 in this fixture
    13/05/1973 U.S.S.R. 1 - 0 Ireland
    18/05/1975 U.S.S.R. 2 - 1 Ireland
    16/10/1985 U.S.S.R. 2 - 0 Ireland
    07/09/2002 Russia 4 - 2 Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

It all depends on our match against the swiss atm imho. a 2goal difference in Irelands favour will boost the lads morale, and give us the goal difference we need to keep our hopes up for 1st place. Hopefully, the russians will fall to some losses away from home. Our georgia and albania matches will hopefully end with once again, 2 goal differences. Ireland defintly have what it takes to win 1st place if they play their best, but the most important match will be next years September 6; Ireland v Russia match. We'd want the 2 goal difference in that game to recover from our loss at moscow... also, I'd reccomend that mick leaves morrison up forward, and putting duff on the f*cking wing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

id stick doherty up front. Morisson fell on his ass once too many for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I dunno. He scored a good goal for Ireland and bagged a few with Birmingham, including a fantastic header. He was falling down mainly because he was playing with an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Of course we can still qualify from the group. All the first game really means is that we have to beat Russia at home now. I think Switzerland will take points off Russia (especially in Switzerland) and we can probably get away with dropping 2 points more (but not against Russia) and still comfortably win the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Maybe, if we can sort out the defensive problems; but its a tall order, after such a disastrous start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Four good players who would play but didn't...

O Shea, Colin Healy, Stephen Mc Phail, Stephen Reid

Get rid of Breen & Harte, Colin Healy instead of either of those two Midfield Maestros we currently have, duff on the wing instead of Kilbane, Clint up front alongside robbie Keane.

Sheeesh, I should manage Ireland FFS.

Many people seem to think that Harte is some sort of Handi-Capper who magically made his way on to football teams because of pity!

Wake up he played woeful during the World Cup(ill be the first to admit) but i feel from watching him play his league games and Ireland matches recently he appears to be regaining his confidence, not a word was said about Harte before the World Cup and since alot of people seem to be hopping on the hate Harte wagon, the world cup is over and hopefully with it Hartes bad patch and lack of confidence, the guy is a good player and to be quite honest we can really do with him.

I think himself and O'Shea will play well together.

The funniest part is, who would take the free kicks if Harte was not on the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

who would take the free kicks if Harte was not on the team?

Yeah look at how many free kicks he's scored for Ireland recently.:rolleyes:

And so why hasn't some one else stepped in?

He is probably the only person on that team who is anyway decent at free kicks on goal.

No one ever said a word about Harte before the WC and now people still ask for him to be removed from the team which would be fair enough if he continued as he did in the WC, but fact is he has shown great improvement, he was well composed in defence against Russia and he stood his ground(I myself was very nervous watching him being confident with the ball in the box)and at the end of the day he did his Job unlike a few other defenders.

In one way i blame McCarthy for this Harte Bandwagon, he kept playing him in every match when he damn well knew what kind of form he was in, Harte shouldn't have been on the pitch for the Spanish game but he was and we saw him make downright silly mistakes again after again, this is where alot of hatred towards harte comes from.

dble post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The funniest part is, who would take the free kicks if Harte was not on the team?

Reid could easily fill that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I wouldn't exactly say that there is hatred towards Harte. McCarthy has stuck with him when there were times when he shouldn't have. However, from the longer term point of view, I don't think we need some glory hunting fúcker taking all the freekicks. There are certain games that will call for freekicks to be used more for crosses into the danger area than the hope of a bit of magic, and if Harte cannot deliver this, he has to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

You can't carry Dead wood like Harte in the hope that he might score from a free kick.After all we mite only get one free kick in a dangerous postion in a match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Gyah...leave Harte out of it. Poll concerns wheter you think Ireland will qualify for 2004 or not. Myrah Gyah Yhum...

Harte's doing ok at the moment to be honest

Yous are missing the point(sorry Aug last comment)its not just about free kicks, the guy is a good player and that's all there is to it, Carrying dead wood?, the guy has a month bad spell so you completely dismiss him from team!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine United did that? in that case gigs would have been sold over the summer(yet he played great last night). Just think about it

Advertisement