Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Cards

• 13-09-2002 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

GTA 3
    I just bought it today - Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!
    However it turns out that my can of piss Compaq Presario 5000 (terrible machine by the way) can't run it because it only has an 8MB video card. I am very pissed off.
    Anyway, does anyone know where I can get a 32/64 MB card in Dublin and are they hard to install, also roughly how much are they?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Go to the Wanted/For Sale Section. theres Always Cheap(ish) second hand graphics cards for Sale.

Do you Know if the Graphics Socket is AGP or PCI? AGP is a Brown Colour.. you need to Find this out first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

billymeehan when did you buy your machine?? I'd find it unlightly anyone would put an 8mb graphics card in any modern desktop.

Wht compaq say....
    Compaq Presario 5000
    Duron-900 CPU, 128MB of SDRAM, 64KB L2 cache, Windows Me, 40GB hard drive, 16X DVD-ROM drive, 12X/4X/32X CD-RW drive, Compaq NVidia GeForce2 MX graphics card with 32MB of SDRAM, 17-inch Compaq FS740 monitor, integrated sound, JBL Platinum Series speakers, V.90 modem, network adapter, midsize tower case, Microsoft Word 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 billymeehan

About a year ago which is weird, I thought it would be fairly up to date. I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one though as the Compaq helpdesk website has 3 or 4 messages with the same problem.
    To be honest all I know is when I try to load up the game a message saying I need at least 12MB of ram appears on the screen.
    A friend of mine says I might not have the correct drivers installed, do you reckon that could be it?

Cheers for the interest by the way

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

First thing you should do is...
    From the start menu select run and type in dxdiag and press enter. which should give you this
    dxdiag.jpg
    Click on the display tab to work out exactly what your card and it's total memory. If it meets the req of GTA it could well be a driver issue in which case you'll have to update your drivers which are available at the manufacturer's website. If it is a geoforce i think you'll need "detonator" drivers ( someone who has a card with a nvidia chipset will tell yah)
    Also make sure you have the latest version of DirectX ie. 8.1a installed. It probably came on the game cd , after that if your still having problems visit the forums on the official game site to see if there's people with the same problem and possible solution...good luck
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 billymeehan

Cheers Logie, turns out I only have an 8mb card installed. But never fear I have my feelers out for a 2nd hand 64mb card.
    Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement