Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce4 TV-Out appears Black & White

• 13-09-2002 10:02am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hooked up my Geforce4 to the television yesterday and I could only manage to get it working in black & white. I set the standard to PAL. I read in the manual that if it appears Black & White that you should select the cable you are using in one of the options. I searched high and low for this in the settings but I could not find it. Anyone else have this difficulty before ?

Slaan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

[edit]
    /me reads the entire post first ;p

i use s-vhs with my gf3 and i have to switch it to composite for color which is odd

get some www.TvTool.de skillz, fantastic software for tv-out shanagains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

there are PAL flavours

PAL B PAL C come to mind for our shores here, ya may need to twiddle a bit.

An early High Def standard that never took off, its used only in France and Russia, is SECAM

I know that SECAM videos play back onto PAL in B&W

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

My Geforce 3 showed in b&w.
    I had a setting on my TV for AV3 and AV3S and when i turned it to AV3 it was in colour and when i turned it to AV3S it was in B&W.

So maybe you have a S setting somewhere.

I was using S-Video btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Im having the same trouble with the color on my MSI gefore 4 ti4400 but i havent fiddled around enough yet with the settings.the new 40 det's have a crapload of new Nview options so i might mess around with them 2day.

PPC

I had a setting on my TV for AV3 and AV3S and when i turned it to AV3 it was in colour and when i turned it to AV3S it was in B&W.

That sounds familiar i might try that L8R.

COMBATCOW >:^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    get some www.tvtool.de skillz

Slaan, this is the best thing on this thread about it, the software is only a tenner to get full versions of, so don't be shy, tvtool talks directly to the tv-out chip on yer geforce and gives you every possible option it provides, whether it's a Philips or Conexant or some other brand of tv-out chip.

nVidia's TV-Out support is notoriously shít anyway. I've decided to put off upgrading my gf3 and wait till the new ATI Radeon 9700's come down a little in price and check out the quality of the tv-out on them.

Luc

PS. tvtool is teh w1n.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I had no problem when I hooked up my MSI GF4 Mx440 to my TV. I used the Phono plug at first then used the S-Video plug yolk.

Update the drivers too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    i use s-vhs with my gf3 and i have to switch it to composite for color which is odd

hmm there was a thread in A/V a while back where i answered this:
    Originally posted by Kali
    that's because your tv doesn't take an s-video connection...

an s-video cable itself contains seperate brightness and colour information.. therefore plugging that into a scart that only accepts a composite (as the name suggest its basically all information on one wire) will usually result in either a lack of colour (or a black screen if wired incorrectly).

so as you said, switching the output on the card to composite (and using the supplied s-video/composite dongly thingy) should result in a colour signal.
    Originally posted by PPC

AV3S means its accepting a proper s-video signal... AV3 would probably look for a composite signal.

Advertisement