Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offline with ericom and SAR715

Options
  • 13-09-2002 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

The question:
    Is anyone using Eircom ADSL and a adsl router/modem called SAR715? It also goes by the name of EA 715.

Why?
    The router had been running for at least 29 days, when Eircom did some changes. It is now not working.

First change: Upgraded their firmware on the DSLAM in the exchange. (If anyone can tell me the types of DSLAM eircom uses I would love to know)

Second change: Major cross over in the patch box at the end of the street. This caused the ISDN and a pstn line to have faults.

The problem:
    Eircom have tested the line, and reported it to be fine.(GoldModem test)

The distributer (in England on PPPoA) has tested the modem and has shown that there was nothing physically wrong.

So why does it not work?

The symptom:
    The modem continually syncs and drops the connection. The modem reports that the line is degrading with CRC errors and such.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I have used both the Alcatel USB modem and the Zytel router that eircom supply and there have been problems similar to this with the router.

I dont have a fix for it really, it seems like a problem on the exchange end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

hi

this should probably be in Net/Coms

check the polarity.

The ordering of the + and - wires is normally not important, say on a bog standard analogue line, but in the case of ADSL it is.

Has it been checked? esp if the patch down the road was dodgy to begin with?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

jaysus, givuss a chance boss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 micko42

Originally posted by Muck
    hi

this should probably be in Net/Coms

check the polarity.

The ordering of the + and - wires is normally not important, say on a bog standard analogue line, but in the case of ADSL it is.

Has it been checked? esp if the patch down the road was dodgy to begin with?

M

I have not checked, but I have checked with the distributor to see if this would be a problem. They say it should not be.

I have also looked around on the net for refences when this first started happening. I could not find any authoritive answer as to polarity effecting adsl devices.

I will still check ...

Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by micko42

The router had been running for at least 29 days, when Eircom did some changes. It is now not working.

Can you tell us when this occurred?
    First change: Upgraded their firmware on the DSLAM in the exchange. (If anyone can tell me the types of DSLAM eircom uses I would love to know)

[/B]

Again, when did this happen, and did your modem stop working at this time or a later/earlier stage?

I found by doing a search that the modem/router is a TeleWell model from Finland. What version of code is yournmodem running and have you upgraded the "user interface" or BIOS, and if so, did you disconnect DSL line while you were doing this?

/mk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

I have the model below the SAR 715. I have the SAR703. It is basically the same except that the 715 has VPN support and has a built in firewall too AFAIK - too lazy to check Solwise's website for specs.

Anyway, I have been running mine for the past 3 weeks and it hasn't stopped working at all. I would reckon the problem lies on Eircom's side but im sure they wont give you one bit of support if you didnt buy the modem/router of them.

Originally posted by MadKevo

Can you tell us when this occurred?

Again, when did this happen, and did your modem stop working at this time or a later/earlier stage?

The fix to the exchange was done on the night Tue /morning Wed 4 Sep. The problem was happening all Wed. As soon as the first person got in there was no connection. I registered the fault on that day with eircom.
    The cross over at then end of the street which caused a PSTN line to fail was done over the Mon,Tue,Wed of that week.
    I found by doing a search that the modem/router is a TeleWell model from Finland. What version of code is yournmodem running and have you upgraded the "user interface" or BIOS, and if so, did you disconnect DSL line while you were doing this?

/mk
    The two or three times that I changed the frmware I had the DSL disconnected.
    TurboComm EA-715 ADSL 4-Ports Router
    http://www.turbocomm.com.tw/product/p_index.htm
    The above is the real name of the hardware.
    The firmware is written by a company in Asia somewhere.
    I originally had the original 7.1 version when the problem happened. I then upgraded it to 8.2 release 89. It still happened. I then went to 8.2 release 87. And it was still happening.
    The DSL line was disconnected for all changes.

Originally posted by lynchie
    I have the model below the SAR 715. I have the SAR703. It is basically the same except that the 715 has VPN support and has a built in firewall too AFAIK - too lazy to check Solwise's website for specs.

Anyway, I have been running mine for the past 3 weeks and it hasn't stopped working at all. I would reckon the problem lies on Eircom's side but im sure they wont give you one bit of support if you didnt buy the modem/router of them.
    The router was working for at least 29 days. It was working for longer than that but when I turn the modem off it resets the count.
    It may be based on the same chip set but the firmware will be different. I was wonting to know if anyone is running the new firmware with the 715 and eircom. I wont to exclude the route from the problem set. ie Someone else is using it, exact same router, why doesnt mine work on this line!

For the answer to what I think the problem is check out:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=806

Advertisement