Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Not Pimp Ioffl Or Anyone Else On Boards.

Options
  • 13-09-2002 3:30pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bonecollector decided he didnt want to remain a part of Boards.ie anymore by pimping IOFFL on a large number of inappropriate boards such as Films and Motors etc.

His account has been closed. Do not pimp *anything* on Boards. We're not your John's.

I know you are all excited by UTV and Esat's offers but much as this may surprise you, there are people out there who couldnt care less and anyway, this is the forum for that.... Films is the forum for Cinema stuff. You wouldnt want them coming here with the latest Blockbuster reviews/gossip would you.

God only know what Bonehead^H^H^H^Hcollector thought he was going to achieve. I know the rest of you are smart enough not to follow suit, thanks.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by DeVore
    Do Not Pimp Ioffl Or Anyone Else On Boards.

Anyone else? :( I was about to post in admin : "Add forum - prositution" . I think it could have gone under Classifieds

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hehe,

yeah I'm just a little irked that after all this time we've fought tooth and nail to build boards.ie and indeed IOFFL have worked hard to raise their profile, that ISP's that wouldnt have given us the time of day before now want to use this platform as a product announcement marketing tool. (this is not a jibe at UTV who I welcome here and who've done it correctly imho).

This is IOFFL's board and we have a hands off approach to it (always have always will) as the mods here have their heads screwed on but with the exception of Eircom (who clearly didnt know better and bought our ads through a third party of a third party who obviously didnt know better) and UTV (who have expressed an interest in advertising) we've had to survive off the good will of our members and the Admins pockets.

Now I dont mind and if I had to I'd pay for boards.ie alone forever but it galls me to see ISPs announce vapourware here. Ok, but thats for the IOFFL mods to allow or deny and I think they've done a terrific job of it.
    But I'm damned if I'm going to butter someone elses bread with our (IOFFL and Boards.ie's) hard work.

Let them add to the sustainability of Boards.ie from the profit they make. Lets not forget, noone is doing this from the goodness of their hearts, its all for profit so I dont see why they shouldnt support our continued existance...

In synopsis: IOFFL can allow what they feel is acceptible (and I am 100% behind them) but the rest of boards is Off Topic for this sort of discussion (with some few exceptions) and should be informed by way of advertisment to support the ongoing growth and maintenance of Boards.ie as a community (remember, we've never made profit and we're not asking to but I dont see any reason to line the pockets of the ISPs with my hard work and *pay* for the privilege...)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

devoreintervention.jpg
    We should get some more of these cards
    And yes, I agree with not posting ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Sorry lol... what does pimp mean in relation to here?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bonecollector is reinstated after explaining his misguided logic and promising not to do it again :)

I know temperature can run high here but lets please keep a perspective on things...

DeV.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by exiztone
    Sorry lol... what does pimp mean in relation to here?

It means to promote something you believe in but which others may not find interesting...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I am pimping my soul for IOFFL, is that the same thing ?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Take note folks.

(pontificating)

Don't forget the boards.ie admins are the ones providing us with (free) space to discuss and vent spleen. The favour's mostly running one way.

And if it wasn't free space the rules would still be the same. Look at the problems we ran into with p45rant (a little overdone imho but it's the same principle - they weren't to happy about it)

(/pontificating)

Then decision on vaporware has largely been made (and agreed to by members, most of whom aren't that enamoured with the odd company (and you know who you are) pimping services that are overpriced and imaginery).

Any blatant (or just discovered by me or my co-dictator) pimping will not be looked upon favourably.

Originally posted by sceptre
    (pontificating)

Don't forget the boards.ie admins are the ones providing us with (free) space to discuss and vent spleen. The favour's mostly running one way.

And if it wasn't free space the rules would still be the same. Look at the problems we ran into with p45rant (a little overdone imho but it's the same principle - they weren't to happy about it)

(/pontificating)

Not by any means is it one way!

I'm totally chuffed that IOFFL use Boards as the beating heart of their efforts and it brings a lot of new boards users (just look how busy the board has been these last few days) so I'd say this arrangement is definitely symbiotic and long may it continue!

I know that IOFFL and Boards share very common beliefs and AUP's so it works nicely. Plus I dunno if any other site would be set up to accept the sort of libelous stuff that gets said here :)

BC was just a bit excitable about UTV's offer and the movement in the market (bless him!) and no harm done.

Anyway, when Esat Lotso Limits went , our impressions dropped! :) (actually since we make bugger all cash from impressions maybe we shouldnt be in favour of FRIACO!! Down with IOFFL!!! or perhaps I just shouldnt drink after work on a friday....)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

/me stands behind dev hefting club..

YEAH!

What dev and sceptre said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by Dustaz
    /me stands behind dev hefting club..

YEAH!

What dev and sceptre said

Is there such a word as LICKARSE!? I already know the meaning of it if there is :)

OHP

Advertisement