Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox

Options
  • 13-09-2002 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I just bought a Xbox!

Did i make a big mistake? What games would anyone recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

halo, project gotham racing, DOA 3, SSSX: tricky.

Turok is just out, and hunter the reckoning is a good bit of old arcade fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Hmm... Halo, Project Gotham... er.

DoA3 if you haven't already played DoA2.

SSX Tricky if you don't own it on every other platform ever.

Turok is terrible, avoid it at all costs. Hunter: The Reckoning is fun.

The next thing worth buying is Splinter Cell in the middle of this winter.

If you just bought an Xbox in preference to a PS2 or Cube, then yes, you've made a mistake. If however you already own one or both of the others, it's a sensible addition to the collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

If you've bought all three, then YOU'RE A FOOL! CRAZY MAN! WITH MORE MONEY THAN SENSE!* THERE ARE PEOPLE STILL PLAYING ON COMMODORE 64'S IN AFRICA!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just cos shinji or amp dont like it does not mean you will not like it. Make your own mind up! Lots of people like the cube for example, but I would not take one if you gave it to me free. I just dont like what I have seen and played of the games out and on the way out. *shrug* - as I said personal prefrence.

I like XBox, and have played most of the big games. Some of them do indeed suck, but there are games on every platform that suck! These days most games come out on loads of different formats, so if you have played a game on one then indeed there is no point in buying the port of the game to a different platform (unless were talking about CM XBox!).

In on order, Project Gotham, Amped, NBA Inside Drive, Halo, Jet Sat Radio Future and Halo all XBox games that rank on my personal "best games of the last year" list.

Im not a Tony Hawks fan, but that gets a good bit of play on the office XBox.

Dont rely on other people to make your mind up for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

X-Box games don't add anything new to anything whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

dont get project gothom, it is boring, how many times can you turn left and right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"dont get project gothom, it is boring, how many times can you turn left and right?"

Pft, if we gave the cars tits and called them 'Lara' I bet nobody would complain.

What the heck do you expect from a racing game?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Could have done alot worse, given it's price has come down. One thing that is becoming very clear to me is that unless you have more money than matters, theres very little reason to ever buy a console within the first year of its release. In this stage they tend to be very costly and come with a poor selection of games, and usually no killer titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

afaik serious sam is coming out on the xbox, it's combing the first & second encounter into one game... should be sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

The xbox is apparently getting the future Shenmue Releases.
    Im going to buy 1 just to play them.

With and a sequal to halo on the cards and probably some conversions of next gen PC fps and other games mentioned above, I like the look of things to come.

Its currently cheaper than PS2 and has a hard drive and specs that destroy the PS2 so its better value in that respect.

But in the end its the games that matter so at the moment the PS2 is the better purchase. (stating the obvious?)

I would not overlook the xbox yet as some people do.

Not that I like the black-dreamcast......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Originally posted by Shinji
    Hunter: The Reckoning is fun.

Nooooooooo, do not buy this game. Its an almost carbon copy of zombie revenge on the DC. It "seems" good for about 5 minutes, much alike zombie revenge did in the arcade for all the time 50p would last you. Then you actually sit down and realise its horribly boring. I'm not sure which one is worse, its a close run bad thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

With and a sequal to halo on the cards and probably some conversions of next gen PC fps and other games mentioned above, I like the look of things to come

First person shooters should be left in there rightfull home the PC.
    Halo is the most over-rated game ever,ive seen everything and more it has to offer long ago on the PC.As for console shooters timesplitters 2 for PS2 will wipe the floor with Halo.
    Most guys i know who have an Xbox state some disapointment with the games for it,yeah,yeah people say it has good games coming out,Well that was said of the Dreamcast too.
    No doubt Xbox has potential,nice specs etc.
    PC is the way to go i dont even buy a game now unless it has Modding capabilities ,such is the value of Mods.
    I bought Halflife 3 years ago,since then ive played about 10 mods for it,Counter-strike,DayofDefeat etc.When you buy a Pc game you get the game plus all these mods,maps for free online not to mention online gaming on the PC,and ofcourse the amaing Lan Parties.
    Having said that i thoroughly enjoy a game of Pro evolution soccer on my brothers PS2 with some friends.
    Both consoles and PC have strenghts but i dont see a weakness in a powerfull PC.

yeah,yeah people say it has good games coming out,Well that was said of the Dreamcast too.

Er, the Dreamcast had fantastic games. What planet are you on?
    Nooooooooo, do not buy this game. Its an almost carbon copy of zombie revenge on the DC.

Bit harsh - it's got a lot more character than Zombie Revenge did. That said my perception of Hunter is probably changed by the fact that I played it with two people, which always makes a game more fun. Same for Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance, which was very good fun in co-op but astonishingly tedious and boring singleplayer.

Er, the Dreamcast had fantastic games. What planet are you on?

I never said Dreamcast had bad games,some of the best games were on DC ,all i said was its not enough to have some good/great games a console needs lots of them as in hundreds like the PS2 to survive hence sadly the rather fine Dreamcast is no longer with us.

I ask you, what planet are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, the DC had more top quality games than the PS2. Its problem was that it didn't have enough mass-market games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Paulg:

I just bought a Xbox!

Did i make a big mistake? What games would anyone recommend?

no i don't think you made a mistake , i bought mine on launch day and bought halo, doa3 and max payne and got months of gameplay out of them .

things went quite for a while but the game releases are picking up now turok, buffy, the thing , commandos 2 all out this month
    and with games like splinter cell , mgs substance , ghost recon comming out and mohf ( with multiplayer ) things are looking better.

games i'd recommend :

halo, doa3 , turok , jsrf ,

if your unsure about a game rent it first ( chartbusters ) and you
    can pick up secound hand games for between 40 -45 euro's, from
    game + gamesworld etc..

Argh, Clover lies - don't touch Turok with a barge pole! It's terrible! As in, absolutely fúcking awful with no redeeming features whatsoever!

It's literally the only FPS game I've ever played that was worse than Daikatana.

Jesus must be bad,Daikatana was absolutely brutal.

Shinji ; Argh, Clover lies - don't touch Turok with a barge pole!

:) ok put turok in the rent first buy later / don't buy later pile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah, I have to admit things are beginning to look up for XBox releases now... it had all went eerily quiet for a bit. Ah well, PS2 had those times too.

Paulg what games did you buy with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The only reason I'd buy an X-Box would be to throw linux on it and use it as a cheap webserver/gameserver/terminal device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i seen a xbox game on cybernet the other night, it was amazing, but i cant remember the name, it was a giant-robot-em-up, and your robot could turn into a jet fighter anytime, looked amazing, great battles and the level where massive, anyone know it?

about driving game, they are all mostly crap, only 4 inputs: left right accelerate and brake, most dont have proper damge or crashes, all bore me to tears, well not all, i loved gta3 and that is sort of a driving game, but i must say that the worst type of game that was ever invented is the grand prix sim, utter boredom

l3rian :

i seen a xbox game on cybernet the other night, it was amazing, but i cant remember the name, it was a giant-robot-em-up, and your robot could turn into a jet fighter .

that game is gun metal, i thought it looked great and played the demo, then i bummed it from my brother for a few days after he bought it , a great looking game and plays well but i thought it got a bit repeative. ( just what i thought ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i was just sating to a mate of mine the other day that i dont know a single pwesin who owns an xbox, and he said the same.
    I know peeps with the other 2 consoles.

I think the xbox might be a great machine, but i think its gona go down likw a led zeplin ( not the great band ).
    I wouldent but a console if i thought it had a short shelf life!

So anyone selling their game cube?

Hmm, the giant robot jet transforming thing was either Gunmetal - which sadly isn't very good - or Battle Engine Aquila, which is bloody fantastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Gunmetal is the one hes talking about. Its neither impressive looking or interesting. Shades of green for the background and the odd bit of water with a robot that looks pretty dumb. I'd stick with armored core if i was you, it can be fun at times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Aquila is the one that had the special E300 desk controller made for it right?

Looks fantastic :)

MW3 rocked.

ShogoMAD was good too, but got very repetitive.
    Would be nice to see a sequel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

For €249 im close to buying One.
    PS2 is like €269

Advertisement