Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

remote and EPG features

• 13-09-2002 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

when I lived in South Africa the satelitte system there (DSTV) had some features that I would love to see intoduced into SKY.

1) You could rearrange your channels. I can see why SKY would not want people doing this but channels 001-099 are not used. So instead of using the favourites system you could just "copy" your favourite channels into positions 001-099 (including "other channels").

2) If you were watching a channel you could see what was coming up on any channel just like you can on SKY's EPG. But if you pressed the "i" button on a program other than the one you were watching you get the info on that program you have selected on the EPG (SKY just gives you info on the program you are watching - you have to change channels or go to the tv guide)

3) There was a button that you could use to switch between 2 channels (ie to switch between Sky Sport 1 and Sky News you would just press this button)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i love to see them ideas introduced.

The first one and the second one would go down a storm.

Th third i not to bother about.

What i would love to be able to do is remove channels from the EPG. i like to remove all the shopping and indian channels as well as all the channels i dont subscribe to, as well as channels like BEN etc.

An EPG you can control.

The new software we got .11 was mainly new code introduced to allow new features to be added. I wonder what these new features are.

Even if they cleared out the channels we cant get in ireland like S4C and Satenta. The sight of them makes me sick with all the aggro they cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I could well go for all three.

The rearranging channels/using001-099 would come in handy

The pressing i thing annoys me a bit (mind you, only have Sky a week today) - it'd be nice to press i while scrolling through the EPG rather than having to use the TV guide to get the info

When I lived in Chorus land, I used use the function on my telly remote that allowed you to switch between two channels (last and current) a lot - very handy when watching two movies at the same time, rather than having to type in the three-digit code the whole time.

Normal viewing doesn't (yet) use the green or yellow buttons - perfect for number 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Things I'd love to see ...

All of skorn to start with, though I can't see Sky allowing the first. Maybe in its place they could expand the limit on favourites, allow you to add in 'other channels' to favourites, and to allow a 'reverse' through favourites, again possibly using the green or yellow buttons.

Another idea would be to have a black screen on the radio channels. I often listen to late night radio on the bedroom portable, but the blue screen is very distracting in a dark room, having to adjust the tv settings is an answer, but not too convenient.

Also on radio - how about more programming info on the EPG and a way of searching/scanning.

I would love the Programming Guide to be incorporated into the channel you are viewing - perhaps along the lines of 'digital text' - where the programme you are watching doesn't disappear while you plan your viewing. This one is probably not possible with a single LNB / or is possible but would mean huge increases in transponder space? But then again the BBC manage this and more within their text service - i.e. viewing other channels etc.

The red dot should be optional - something like how you can set hoe long search and scan banners last - i.e. No Red Button ever, Red Button stays on for a defined number of seconds, or Red Button on all the time. The 'back-up solution' to this is not satisfactory. (BTW - Sky: we all know about the red button, and the interactive features, there is no need to constantly remind us!).

Thats all for now Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

Originally posted by Genghis
    (BTW - Sky: we all know about the red button, and the interactive features, there is no need to constantly remind us!).
    Red button? What's this about the red button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the infamous red zit. it is a little red graphic that Sky put on most of its channels. it is to remind us to use Sky Active although we here in this country get a very limited version (Sky News and Sky Sports). it's easy to get rid of but it is really annoying when taping things using the personal planner. the red button guy on the customer channel is a pain too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    the red button guy on the customer channel is a pain too
    Understatement or what. Would make me rip the blooming red button outta my remote rather than press it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    the infamous red zit. it is a little red graphic that Sky put on most of its channels. it is to remind us to use Sky Active although we here in this country get a very limited version (Sky News and Sky Sports). it's easy to get rid of but it is really annoying when taping things using the personal planner. the red button guy on the customer channel is a pain too

Yup! For those of you that don't know just press the "Backup" button once which removes the red zit :)

Advertisement