Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

norton antivirus

• 13-09-2002 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

feckin baxtards!
    apparently my "subscription" has expired & i have to pay symantec lots of money to renew said subscription
    i never had this problem with nav 2000, but now my copy of nav 2002 has started being a cheeky bollox & not letting me update my virus definitions:mad:
    i tried reinstalling nav, but now it wont let me install any virus defs (from symantecs website, not that live update sh|te), so they're only up to 08/08/01...
    anyone know of a legal way to get my defs up to date without having to pay those money grubbing baxtards at symantec?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

anyone know of a legal way to get my defs up to date without having to pay those money grubbing baxtards at symantec?

None that I've seen.
    The same thing happened with my copy. At least McAfee lets you (or at least it did) update the defs. for free.
    I switched over to AVG anyway, I find it alot better and it's free.
    http://www.grisoft.com/ in case you want to take a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cheers, dl'ing now... (5 megs on a crappy 56k:()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I've got Norton 2k2 here at home and I'm not subscribed.
    I've been updating everything on a daily basis [or whenever the updates come out!]

could be cos I havent got a *legal* copy...

looking into some not so legal ways of getting it working at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by tman
    looking into some not so legal ways of getting it working at the mo

did you not see the date when you installed nortan ? Its in BIG BOLD letters.. expire date ..etc

I usually get around this by reinstalling the OS, works a treat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i too use avg

free to use
    free to upgrade anti virus patterns
    outlook plugin
    very fast operation

www.grisoft.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

AFAIK you can get the updates manually on their website
    Or what I used to do was to set my PC date back and it worked..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

thats how i normally get em (here)
    did you not see the date when you installed nortan ? Its in BIG BOLD letters.. expire date ..etc
    twas preinstalled when i got the pc:(

tried a couple of haxors, but they didnt work:(
    i'll just uninstall nav & download that avg one now i'd say (feckin download just stopped at 96% last night)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Nothing like that never showed up when I installed 2k2.

It's a copy I got off a friend anyway so maybe thats why.

Only prob I suffer from is I cant set any of the settings from the options page.

I gotta manually open the NAVWNT.EXE and select full system scan when I want it.

The live update is apples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

heh, the amount of ill€gal software going around here is unreal :rolleyes: lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by ando
    heh, the amount of ill€gal software going around here is unreal :rolleyes: lol

One person talked about having a dodgy copy of Norton.
    What myself and Gone Shootin suggested is free i.e the people who make it don't mind you not paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I used to get nagged by NAV 2000 to update my subscriptions, but I got round it by, and yes this simple, turning the date on the computer back a couple of months whenever I went to update it.

I know it sounds stupid, but it really did work. Dunno if it works with 2002 cause my sub to that is still to run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

just uninstall it and then reinstall. it will ask you when you bought it. just say this month and bobs your uncle another years sub. works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by OJ
    Or what I used to do was to set my PC date back and it worked..

Just noticed the date thing was already posted.

Also from what I know, when you download the manual (exe) updater from their website it checks if it's still within the sub period anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'd imagine you could probably uninstall, hax0r up the registry to get rid of all traces of it, then reinstall.

I'd imagine you could probably uninstall, hax0r up the registry to get rid of all traces of it, then reinstall.
    good plan actually... that worked for a couple of 30 day trials that ran out before.
    regedit here we come:)

lmao...
    setting the date back to before it expired actually worked:D
    cheers to everyone that mentioned that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Attitude

Originally posted by tman
    feckin baxtards!
    apparently my "subscription" has expired & i have to pay symantec lots of money to renew said subscription
    i never had this problem with nav 2000, but now my copy of nav 2002 has started being a cheeky bollox & not letting me update my virus definitions:mad:
    i tried reinstalling nav, but now it wont let me install any virus defs (from symantecs website, not that live update sh|te), so they're only up to 08/08/01...
    :confused:
    My subsription ran out as well In August, costs 9.95....which...compared to a COMPLETELY useless PC tis nothing *really*...;)

Advertisement