Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreal Tournament 2003 first impressions

Options
  • 14-09-2002 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Well i finished downloading the demo from www.fasterfiles.com going @ an average of 65KB/sec whitch was pretty sweet bout a hour ago.ne way the games is da dogs bollokz the graphics really are incredable evan though they can only b set to medium due to the demo size restrictions.the ragdoll physics are sooo sweet especially with low gravity on.iv tried all the levels + game types and they are all ill.the Weapons are hummm.. dam sweet my fav is prob the link gun or shock rifle.ill give it a go over da net 2morrow cause ( holy crap ) it's 5:32 am .LOL nehoo it's well worth the 100mg download and puts all existing games graphics to shame.( yes evan halo ) ps.the grass n trees look v.nice not that youll be lookin @ them much.after u start wasting the bots ( o yeah the AI seems to be good but ill have to play it more on a harder difficulty to put it to the test )

well thats it gotta get 5-6 hours sleep than back to the grindstone ( ut2k3 ) loz COMBATCOW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah i thought it was good to if not a little bit laggy though. I only have a gf 2 gts and ran it with every setting turned down and gave me 20-30 fps. Not to bad i suppose. Also i was a little disappointed with the rocket launcher in that you can only fire a max of 3 rockets instead of the 6-7 in the other UT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Seems nice enough, but not totally stunning.

Will need to tweak the effects quite a bit as I didn't like the way it looked on the first few runs.

Sound was a little annoying too.

Second map was nice.

Bots above Masterful whipped me in open play.

I dunno, tis too early too say and I am still waiting to play online, but right now it seems a little too cartoony for me and not as sharp and shiny as I had hoped.

JAK.

ps- apologies for useless description.

Edit: System is gf4, 1800 athlon, 256 266hz ram btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Just finished playing it now. my opinion is, WOW, the graphics are amazing even running at 512x324 :) as was also pointed out the knocking about of bodies adds a nice touch. dm plays the same as ut which is always a good thing what about the assault rife a bit a nod to halo me thinks. im now off to try and insert an agp card ito a pci slot so i can crqnk up the resolution. apparently all you need is some lube and a mallet

Pretty impressed with the CTF - and the AI worked pretty well in it.

As for the Bomb run mod - tis actually good crack.

Really want to play online tho ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The CTF level is too small, IMO. Bombing-run is Ok, Deathmatch levels are where it shines.

A good GFX card is a must to show off the effects (reflection of metal, water, grass, etc), and a fast processor, RAM, etc, otherwise you'll just be annoyed at how badly it runs.

There is no reload function (thankfully, as how many times have I been killed in other FPS's whilst reloading a weapon... :)) - and the weapons are pretty cool, the Sniper/Ligntning rifle is a bit strange though. Models are nice, the "rag-doll" physics are amazing/hilarious.

Jak, what GeForce4 you got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

does that guy say "Head Shot" or " Ketchup" when you take someone's head off? need getting used to the maps since they are so spacious and full of eyecandy, otherwise, fantastic demo.

runs fine on my pc in 1024 x 768 full detail. ive took some screens for those not priviliged to play it already. :)

56kb
    Shot00001-s.jpg

73kb
    Shot00002-s.jpg

87kb
    Shot00003-s.jpg

didn't have a chance to play on the internet since it seems broken. Epic are trying to fix it right now. :) its well worth the 100mb download if your system can handle the game.

cant wait for other games using this engine, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, Deus Ex2, ahhhhhh

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Jak
    Will need to tweak the effects quite a bit as I didn't like the way it looked on the first few runs.
    which drivers are you using? there is a problem with the new 40.41 drivers when playing the demo.

3.6 NVIDIA 40.41 drivers

The NVIDIA 40.41 drivers are known to have visual flaws and performance problems (hitching) with the Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo which are not present in the 30.82 drivers. The issue has been addressed by NVIDIA and future drivers released by NVIDIA will contain the appropriate fixes.

If you are currently running the 40.41 drivers please either downgrade to 30.82 or install newer drivers when available.

ive noticed some twitching during the game. hope Nvidia gets down and sorts this out.

adnans

odd im running 40.41s and havent noticed anything. i thinks ill stick with em even if ut2003 dosent run at its full potential.

off topic: will facing worlds be in the final version? it the best ctf map ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Same as UT but with better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yer Face will be in the full game.
    Its a bit different tho. (original face sucked tho ;) )
    They also remade lava and one or two others i cant remember.

Directx8.1b has been released. Apparently it improves your ut2k3 prerformance slightly.

• Advertisement

Btw you all know about the adrenaline system?

Once you get 100 adren hit:
    4 times forward for speed.
    4 times back for regen.
    2back 2forward for berserk. (damage amp i think)
    2left 2 right (or was it other way round) for invis/transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The sniper sight is very cool.
    GFX really look the biz and I cant wait to get the full version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Never been a fan of unreal/quake (dont like laser guns )

BNut just played UT3 on wireplay and OMG its a blast a bit to fast for me but im sure i will get used to it :)

kdja

has anyone got any uk server ips? reaaaly want try this out online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Great Demo,1600x1400 res all gfx maxed out and getting 85 fps WOW.
    I prefer realism shooters like CS,MOHAAand DOD.
    Its pure arcade fun,Graphics make all others look poor, Mafia has great gfx alsobut UT2003 is a different level.
    Stunning shadows,water,metal everything is moving such as those fans spinning and casting a spinning shadow on the ground,walls and even your weapon.
    Pixel shading,bumpmapping,envoirenmental mapping,are all here .

P4 1.5,384mb,geforce4 TI4200

has anyone got any uk server ips? reaaaly want try this out online.

IN the in game browser has the usual lot
    Wireplay
    Jolt
    Blueyonder
    and 40 a ping ,netcode seems a lot better than anything else out.

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Played it at a mates house and am going to download now, loved it.

The graphics are brilliant on full (or medium in full version,i cant wait to see it at max..), and the fun you can have with dead bodies is great!

I also LOVE the crunching sound it makes when you fall, if you just towards the cap point on the bomb run map though the laser floor your body will bounch down off several steel bar's and make the coolest sounds and the 'rag doll' physics is bloody hilarious when your falling, great entertainment :D

I also love the new shield function on the new melee weapon, great for flag running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

humm just read this sounds intresting.

You can get Adrenaline by scoring in a match or fragging a lot of people or picking up these pills that are scattered throughout the map. Once you have 100 points, you can perform combat-style combo moves. For example, back, back, forward, forward makes you go Berserk and you can fire twice as fast. There?s also invisibility, speed, and a defense combo. It?s a way to give you an actual bonus from all the multi-kills and killing sprees.

COMBATCOW >:^)

Btw you all know about the adrenaline system?

Once you get 100 adren hit:
    4 times forward for speed.
    4 times back for regen.
    2back 2forward for berserk. (damage amp i think)
    2left 2 right (or was it other way round) for invis/transparency.
    humm just read this sounds intresting.

You can get Adrenaline by scoring in a match or fragging a lot of people or picking up these pills that are scattered throughout the map. Once you have 100 points, you can perform combat-style combo moves. For example, back, back, forward, forward makes you go Berserk and you can fire twice as fast. There?s also invisibility, speed, and a defense combo. It?s a way to give you an actual bonus from all the multi-kills and killing sprees.

COMBATCOW >:^)

Yes,we know :)

for some reason the ingame server browser crashes half way through pinging the list. so i cant get to much of the servers. has this happened to anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Just got it there ,
    Played for about 10 mins and its looks and plays very well

9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Best 6 hours spent d/l somethink!

Absolutely classic.

Quake is DeAd!

Runs like a dream...800x600x32

P4 1.9 64MB GF2 mx 256RaM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Boring. Give us something new please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've only seen screen shots so far, so the jury's still out bht bht, but it doens't look pants-wettingly great from here.
    Sure, the models are highly detailed and they ahve better sketetal physics etc.
    I just hope it plays well.

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    for some reason the ingame server browser crashes half way through pinging the list. so i cant get to much of the servers. has this happened to anyone else?

The Masterserver is overhwhelmed. Epic didnt expect this many people to play the demo so they werent prepared for the load the mster server would have to deal with. A bit silly of Epic imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Doom 3 will own your a$ses...

having said that Unreal 2002-03 is pretty sweet....

Like it loads...

I think most people agree with you deco that doom3 will be unbelievable, but this will do us until its released :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

BEEN PLAYING IT ALL AFTERNOON ONLINE WITH 56K,netcode is outstanding almost as good as Half-life netcode.
    Smooth throughout on a number of servers including American ones.I got host IPs from various forums for guys running servers since Master server is down,well it was an hour ago.
    Great game so far and absolutely destroys any game in Gfx department.I was playing on servers with about 10 guys in game and it feels a lot more tactical ,stealthy and strategic than UT and Q3A.
    So far i love it.

Originally posted by adnans
    which drivers are you using? there is a problem with the new 40.41 drivers when playing the demo.

Not the latest ones anyhows - I will check and look for updates/patches tomorrow.

The more I play it, it is pretty good. Usual thing is just the fps concern .. With everythin on fps jumps between 60 normal and <30 in fights (granted I am on a hacked up gf4 - the mx440) but I simply can't play the game well with everything on - just gets too cluttered and takes away a lil from the gameplay - so I knock everything off and it plays well staying at about 50 in fights.

Hopefully tweaks and updates will follow though.

• Advertisement

Still too damn fast trying hard to get a grip on the speed of the other players and myself :(

How the hell do ppl shoot me at that speed???LOL

Must get better.....

kdja

Advertisement