Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreal Tournament 2003 first impressions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The more and more i play it.....the more i hate it - the weak pansy weapons are just laughable - might as well throw away your shock rifles and throttle them with your bare hands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The more and more i play it.....the more i hate it - the weak pansy weapons are just laughable - might as well throw away your shock rifles and throttle them with your bare hands.

Yeah whatever,so you say a rocket or three in the face is a pansy weapon?
    Ive come to a conclusion about those whinging about it,
    Either they have a crappy PC that cant handle the best graphics ever ,or simply prefer realism shooters like me,ie CS,DOD etc.
    Just play UT2003 as its meant to be ,ie fast-paced action shooter and youll be fine.
    As ive said in a previous post in this thread it runs amazing for me on my PC P4 1.5,384mb,GF4 TI 4200,ive also tried it on a P2 400,128mb and Geforce 2 surprisingly fluid ive got to say,1024x768 res and it looks great on it too

rocket or three in the face is a pansy weapon?

Youll probably need a rocket or 5, and throw in a few kitchen sinks while youre at it:D
    Either they have a crappy PC that cant handle the best graphics ever ,or simply prefer realism shooters like me,ie CS,DOD etc.

Graphics arent that important to me- ill be turning down most of them anyway - My PC is holding up well under the strain of UT2 so far, gameplay is my acid test of a game. Not into realism shooters either - played Tac Ops a lot for a while but i hear thats not really considered realistic on the same scale as CS.
    Just play UT2003 as its meant to be ,ie fast-paced action shooter and youll be fine.

Thats probably it - I came into UT2 from UT assuming it would be like UT - Its not though, hence im dissapointed. Personal taste cant be accounted for though. I would highly reccomend the game to people who like Quake 3 though - it would be their cup of tea id imagine, not mine sadly. Ill be sticking with UT till TNSe gets round to releasing that UT mod for 2K3.

Totally agree ,gameplay is what counts most,i feel UT2003 has this in bucketfulls,i dont like huge amounts of players in a server i prefer small amounts ie 8,10,12 this way its more tactical and stealthy,instead of Mayhem.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

LOL

You expected it to be like unreal?
    Thats like saying you expected Q3 to be like Half-life.
    Its an "I KEEL YOU TO DEATH NOW" game, not bloody Deus Ex.

This game rox. WP to the ut2k3 team, they earned their wages.

• Advertisement

You expected it to be like unreal?

Nah to be like UT - something to do with the title of it, Unreal Tournament 2003 - some strange connection to Unreal Tournament there, cant quite put my finger on it:D

Like when Half Life 2 comes along (seeing as you mention it) youd be a little.... concerned if it was basically "Aliens Vs Predator 3" but called Half Life 2 to try and sucker Half Life fans into buying it. AvP fans would love it, but HL fans would be wondering "this is the sequel to Half Life? WTF?":)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Played my first war of this last night.
    Must say it was much better than the servers.
    was a 4v4 ctf game. Really enjoyed it.
    We happened to win 17-2 which im sure helped.
    They hadnt played the game much i gathered after ;)

I take abck all i said about the tele. I think it fits into the game perfectly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Hi everyone,
    Its time for me to upgrade. Ive been waiting for these next gen games to appear and UT2K3 is the first. Does the ti4600 have any advantage over the ti4200 for this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Is there a way to keep the dead bodies? instead of them just disentagrating? Brilliant grfx by the way - 80 fps on the 1024 res. with everything on full/normal! cant wait till the full game!

Its time for me to upgrade. Ive been waiting for these next gen games to appear and UT2K3 is the first. Does the ti4600 have any advantage over the ti4200 for this game?

Since im in the computer business,i got the opportunity to test out all Creatives versions of GF4,MX400,MX440,TI4200,4400,4600
    on my PC before actually purchasing ,heres what i found.
    MX cards are good but nowhere near as good as TI cards.
    I settled for TI4200 64mb [memory is faster on 64mb model than 128.Also i can overclock my 4200 faster than 4600s default speed and was totally stable.4600 and 4400 werent very stable though.
    While benchmarking with 3D MARK 2001 there was only 3-5 fps in the difference between all 3 cards unclocked and at various gfx and resolution settings.
    Ive yet to find a game that required me to overclock my TI 4200.
    Games like UT2003,Commanche4 and Morrowind look totally different on a GF4 than any other card,since the games ive mentioned use vertex and pixel shading the GF4 loves them.
    Basically this means theres lots of stunning water effects with stunning photorealistic reflections on them which move according to the waters movement.You havent seen great pixel shading until you have seen the water and ripples in Morrowind,its absolutely incredible.
    Go for 4200 Full Forward ,the few extra fps dont warrant an extra 100-150 euros.
    Im getting 80 fps at 1600x1400 gfx maxed out with UT2003,ithe card can pump the res up even more but my monitor limit is 1600x1400.If i go down to 1024x768 im getting 100-120 fps,some say a res higher than this is overkill,
    If youve got a decent CPU a GF4 TI will be a great upgrade,if your cpu is say 600 mhz it could be a bottleneck.

Mine is P4 1.5,284mb,GF4 TI 4200,win ME
    Good luck with whatever you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i think its great!

I dont think its the next develepoment in game design its very like the 1st game with a few more bells and whistles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Thanks DC. You confirmed my suspicions. I’m going for a full upgrade using the ti4200 and a P4 2.53.
    One more question about UT2003. Does this game make use of 5.1 sound or is that only for DVD's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

It does make use of full 5.1 and Eax.

Thanks DC. You confirmed my suspicions. I’m going for a full upgrade using the ti4200 and a P4 2.53.

Bloody hell FF GF4 4200 with 2.5 Gig "OH MY GOD"The thought just gives me a chill up and down my spine.
    That thing will gobble up 10 Xbox,cubes and PS2s and spit them out in 1000s of pieces.
    Im coming over to your house when Doom3 arrives!!!!!!!:eek:

Advertisement