Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stands or Wall Mounted

• 14-09-2002 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Now that I have the cable sorted out I would like to get peoples opinion on whether to buy stands for the speakers or to wall mount them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

its more down to personal preference really.. i'd go with stands though myself.

basically weigh up the questions..
    do you have enough space on the floor?
    will you be moving funiture around at all in future?
    whats the floor like? thin/thick carpet? wood? (will affect the spikes on the stands)
    depends on your wiring as well.. if its wired up high then wall brackets.. if its low then stands.

bear in mind that placing speakers in corners (as is usual with wall brackets) results in a more "boomy" effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The higher the better, well not really,
    but for the best sound, you should angel the speakers downwards at a height of around 1.3 Meters..... more/less, depending on the size of the room, it'll make the HF of the speaker sound better, as it wont cause them to disperse as you more left and right of the centre of the speaker.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

I'd go for stands - especially if you have backward firing bass ports on your speakers, using wall mounted stands in this case will make the bass a bit too boomy and negate the designed effect of the backward firing bass port. Lump's right about height too - speakers should be at the height you generally listen at. www.beyondhifi.net have some v. nice atacama stands :) Have a search through the archives of uk.rec.audio etc - this questions prob has been dealt with and in detail there.

Dizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have my system on Stands.....they can extend upto 1.5meters or somefin so i can get them as high as possible :)

Id recommend stands... you can move them around without having holes in the walls :D

Hi Shane,
    Have a look at http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html

Theres lots of usefull info there.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Just about any home cinema system is a compromise, but as you've gone to such great lengths to ensure a quality system so far...........I'd go for stands.

My only justification for this is as follows:

I have never seen a super high end hi-fi system (Linn, Ruark, Mark Levinson etc. etc.) that employed wall mounted speakers. Therefore stands have to be best, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by ozpass
    I have never seen a super high end hi-fi system (Linn, Ruark, Mark Levinson etc. etc.) that employed wall mounted speakers. Therefore stands have to be best, right?

not really the best reasoning.. i've seen 100k+ setups with in-wall speakers (ughh) or wall-mounted bi-polars (probably the best option for rear speakers).. mind you rarely for the fronts, but its very common for the rears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

not really the best reasoning..

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but.....fair comment.

I'd still recommend stand mounted rear(s) as you've greater flexibility to move them round.

The comments made about rear-firing ports make a lot of sense too.

My Dad's pretty old skool about these things (pre-amps, monoblock power amps etc.) and he has his rear speakers stand mounted with concrete flagstones under the carpet. Sounds pretty sweet too......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Tob e honest, its alot of trial and error, it depends on a lot of different factors, IE echo, size of the room, how much absorbtion will take place and a number of other elements. A lot of the sites that people have mentioned, will go on the understanding of certain conditions. You can only go by the principles, but like everything, it doesnt always work out. So try different setups etc.

John

P.S, a sound that suits you, mightn't suit me for example.

Advertisement