Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GF2 issues

• 14-09-2002 4:46pm

I recently got a geforce 2 card and I've had seom problems with it. It worked fine for about 2 days but then I smelled burning coming from the comp. I opened it up and the card was *very* hot. Could this be a ventilation problem? The fan on the card works fine. I haven't messed with the clock settings or anything like that. I basically slapped it into the comp and away I went. My machine gets left on for about 12 hours a day. Could that contribute to the problem?

As usual any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'd check the CPU fan aswell just to be sure.
    You could try wiping the dust off the fan blades, and check the CPU fan's RPM & CPU temp in the BIOS.
    If the burning you smelled was a once-off, maybe it was something else?
    By my reckoning - if the GeForce2 chip was heating to the point of causing a burning smell, the machine would have locked up by that point, but as always I could be corrected.

A few months ago, my CPU fan became unplugged, not sure if I smelled anything (I'm a smoker :(), but I heard a really high pitched whining from the chip (I'm pretty sure it was the chip anyway)... something else to look out for methinks.
    Might be your PSU making that smell aswell, but I wouldn't try messing with that... replace it if it's the source of the smell.

It's reasonable enough to assume it could be the GF2 making the smell, but be open to the possibility that you could have knocked something out of place while installing it.

Could also be that the fan on your card can't draw enough power from the motherboard to keep the fan spinning at a high enough RPM to cool the heatsink properly.
    Could be any number of things.

More information would probably help here...
    Does the PC lock up?
    Is the smell happening regularly, or just that one time?
    If you put your old video card back in, does it stop?

If you're worried about it, maybe it'd be best if you turned the PC off when you're not supervising it... just incase :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah i have over clocked my gfs and no bother it locks up bepfre i get any problems. Ive had a burning smell comming from my ram when i put it in wrongonece but it still worked fine after that.

try get an extra fan too point at youre card.

Thats what i do anyway!

Advertisement