Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL on air with Newstalk 106FM this Sunday

Options
  • 14-09-2002 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline have been invited to take part in an in studio discussion on the current Irish Internet situation, by Newstalk 106FM's business show (10am -12pm Sunday).

The panel will include Karlin Lillington (Technical journalist who writes Irish Times and many other publications....) and some familar faces from IOFFL! ;)

We will be on air after the 11 o'clock news this Sunday (15th).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Best of luck ^_^ as a radio enthusiast/amateur DJ/general all-round internet guy I shall be listening with great interest.

Meanwhile, maybe you should look into getting a spot on SpinTalk (103.8 FM) the station has about three times more listeners than Newstalk 106 and they're always into internet related stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

gud luck lads, ill expect cheap broadband in 4 weeks then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Good luck folks, will be listening in.

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Muirthile

Is that 11am or 11pm? :confused:

am.

Morning.

Sure, any stereotype journalist wouldn't go near a radio station at night - it'd waste valuable pub time:)

Technically you could say that "12am" meaning "midnight" and "12pm" meaning "noon" doesn't make sense (am: ante meridiem, "being before noon", usage dating from 1563; pm: post meridiem, "being after noon", usage dating from 1647)

However as a general rule 12pm is interpreted as noon. Never as midnight. Even if on a literal level that makes no sense whatever. See here and here. One of the big reasons the 24-hour clock makes sense for everyday use.

Dammit, I'm turning into Yoda (the boards guy, not the green muppet):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by sceptre

Technically you could say that "12am" meaning "midnight" and "12pm" meaning "noon" doesn't make sense (am: ante meridiem, "being before noon", usage dating from 1563; pm: post meridiem, "being after noon", usage dating from 1647)
    So we're only going to have a two hour business show; not fourteen hours? Business enthusiasts will be disappointed.

On the subject of business, check out the Sunday Tribune which will have an interview with Chairman Dave Long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Is there any way to tune into this over the web?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Excellent work there from Dave and Martin. Well done. Very unfortunate that the ODTR could not make it at the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ralphaverbuch

Hi D

I tuned in to 106 this morning and caught the last part of the discussion. Very interesting.

I'm pretty sure that, for anyone confused at all the issues surrounding this topic, you cleared the muddied waters a bit...

RA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im in work and missed it. Dont suppose anyone got an mp3?
    Failing that, any chance of a synopsis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I taught the name of our organisation was IrelandOFFline and not IrelandONline :rolleyes:

twice the presenter called us IrelandONline ...

anyway, good job lads & lassies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

any chance of an mp3 plz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I'll get an MP3 and transcript sourced from my recording asap. It was on for about 50 minutes so I'll need some time to pull the transcipt together.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Can I suggest that you make an Ogg of the recording, as well as an MP3? I've been avoiding MP3s as a matter of principle for some time now, and you should be able to make a nice small mono Ogg at quality -1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Yup I know about ogg but how prevalnet are ogg supporting players right now?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Most of the major players are supporting it, either natively or through a plugin. I know Winamp3 supports it natively, and I was playing Oggs on Winamp2 for months before that through the plugin.

I know most people will be happy with an MP3 -- as I said I'm trying to avoid them on principle, but it's just a preference. If you upload both an MP3 and an Ogg, I'll listen to the Ogg. If you only upload an MP3, I'll probably listen to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

heeh u nerds! any chance of a wav file then? :)

Advertisement