Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sidewinder joystick issues :(

• 14-09-2002 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

I need help!

I bought a 2nd hand Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick. It works on two computers i've tried it on, but on the third (mine!) it won't :(

I'm supposed to install the software first, then plug in the usb connector and test the joystick.

First of all, during install, it comes up with "_ins5335 has caused an error in <unknown>" (i'm not sure if _ins5335 is exactly correct, but i'll post again when i get back to my computer later on). That's during the copying files bit, but the overall install program continues anyway.

It asks me to plug in the joystick, and when i do, it does the little add hardware wizard box that normally happens when you plug in a new usb device, but after that's finished, the install program says it can't detect it. When i continue and test the joystick, it doesn't work :(

Microsoft's knowledge base says something about VIA USB controllers, and gives an update to the software that fixes VIA USB issues. I have a VIA chipset (Abit KT7A RAID / VIA KT133A), and I've installed that, but it doesn't change matters.

The only other obvious difference between the two computers that work and mine is that they're using 98SE, and i'm using ME. I know ME is pants, but i cba reinstalling something else for the time being, and besides, I'm sure if the joystick simply didn't work in ME at all, it'd be in the knowledge base, and elsewhere.

Cany anyone help? I'm desperate to use the joystick in Falcon 4.0 :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I had one of these a couple of years ago and I had the same problem. I got a file (think it was off the microsoft site) that fixed it. Have a gander round their site (yeah, reallll easy to find stuff) and if you can't find it I will have a check on the machine at the weekend for ya.

Spunj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Go to the microsoft website and d/l the latest sidewinder drivers for the OS you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

spunj, i can't find anything for this joystick except for the afforementioned via usb patch. Is this the file you're talking about, or is there something else? If there is something else, can you have a look around and see if you can find it for me please?

ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I found the VIA USB driver update on a CD and installed it, and now the stick works!

Odd that the same update wouldn't work when i downloaded it from MS's website...

hmmm....

Thanks for your interest anyhoo.

Advertisement