Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restoring a formatted drive

• 15-09-2002 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hears the story . my friend brought over his hdd to my computer so we can swap files without loads of cd's etc .. everything copied fine when he got it home and plugged it in all the files on his hdd were lost

windows gave a msg saying that the drive was not formatted

ive seen the error with 3 1/2" floppies but never with a hdd and not since win 95 .

what im looking for is that software that can get back files from a formatted hdd . dose anyone know the name of a good one ? ive seen a lot on the net but b4 i go off dling them trying eachone out and seeing that it dosent do exactly what i want it to do can somone recommend one that can get all the files back

thx lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There really is no magic solution to this problem.

The only possible easy solution is that the jumper settings for the Hard-Drive have been messed up and the number of cylinders has been jumpered down. Just check the jumper settings and make sure they're exactly right.

Have you tried sticking the HDD back into your own PC?

If that isn't the case then you as such no longer have a file system. This Means you no longer have any location for files/data.

In the immortal words of many generations "You're fscked". You'll be lucky if you find a program that will reliably get much data off the HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 danari

ye i put it back into my computer and gave the same msg .. dont know what to do with it ... a well fuxorz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ando

I presume he already has a Master HD in his PC, and the one that is now faulty is setup as a slave on the primary IDE channel ? Did you mess around with jumper settings at all since it left his PC?

Can he 'see' the HD from within My Computer? What does it say? Untitled or wha? If its saying it has'nt been formatted, then it looks like you must of deleted the partitions on the HD.. did you go near computer management?

What OS's are you using, what OS if any is on the faulty harddrive... what File systems were you using on the faulty hd as well as you current pc's? NTFS, Fat etc ? Are you trying to boot from the faulty HD?

If your using windows 2000, go into computer management, diskmanagement... see what status its giving on the faulty hd. I dunno if computer management is in Xp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I've seen a somewhat similar problem once before where an NTFS formatted drive from a NT4 machine was put into a W2K machine. The newer machine automatically marked the drive partition as being NTFS5 or somesuch and the original machine could not read it anymore.

This would not explain why you are having trouble reading it in your machine though.

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

If you have not change any jumper and hd is still not working when it is back to your computer then the hd might have been damaged.
    What kind of sound does hd made when you try to access the it?
    It should be a nice continues spinging sound. If you hear any clicks or lots of pluase then start thinking of buying a new one.

:(

Advertisement