Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on "Bertie's Bowl"?

Options
  • 15-09-2002 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

What's the opinion of everyone here on Stadium Ireland?

For example, is it a good or bad idea? Should the Government have funded it at all, should they have funded all of it, or were they right to pull out now?

I think it was a bad idea. In my opinion, they should have spent the money on improving Lansdowne Road. If they had to build a national stadium, they should have built it away from Dublin, in somewhere which has no major stadia in the first place. They don't need the Sports Campus either. It was a vanity project to make Ahern look good in the boomtime, and now we're paying for it. This stadium will be an Taoiseach's downfall.

On a lighter note, Cowen for Taoiseach in 2006!... darn Biffos (i.e. Offaly people).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

To be brutally honest, I do not know enough about this project to participate in a decent debate over it but I don't agree with the idea that Stadium Ireland or whatever it's being called now should be placed outside Dublin... it makes perfect sense that the national stadium be in the country's capital. I mean, there's no point in having international football teams flying into Dublin Airport and then going on a two hour drive into the midlands on some of the worst roads in the first world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i wouldn't know a huge amount about this subject either,but i'll give it a go,and sure i'll see what comes out.
    hmmm,i agree with article6(ed,right?)'s point about renovating/improving landsdowne road instead.that'd be nice.
    i think if stadium ireland were to go ahead,it should be put somewhere other than dublin,so as the city doesn't get too cramped and crowded what with all those sporting facilities already there.also,bob said something about the state of the roads,but putting the stadium somewhere else would encourage the improvement of the roads needed to get there,so we'd end up with more usable roads,leading to PROSPERITY!!or at least easy driving....

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

I'm against the whole stadium thing. They should just cut all GAA funding until they let Croke Park be used for football. They're cutting back on everything else so how can they say that they can afford a stadium? Plus I hate the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

it makes perfect sense that the national stadium be in the country's capital. I mean, there's no point in having international football teams flying into Dublin Airport and then going on a two hour drive into the midlands on some of the worst roads in the first world.

bob, darling;
    firstly: perfect sense? why can't we have our sports ground dotted around the country like, oh, most other countries everywhere.
    secondly: international football teams can fly to shannon, cork, knock, the airfield twenty miles away from me, y'know, anywhere.
    thirdly: i think they should put it somehwhere between knock airport and galway.
    hmmm,i agree with article6(ed,right?)'s point about renovating/improving landsdowne road instead.that'd be nice.

i like that.
    They should just cut all GAA funding until they let Croke Park be used for football

but that wouldn't look good to UEFA and that's who we're trying to impress so the worst thing we could do is fight amongst ourselves, and start looking like, england.

and article6, i can see how threads like this could really cut down on the spamming. clever idea. i like it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Originally posted by purplepolkadot
    bob, darling;
    firstly: perfect sense? why can't we have our sports ground dotted around the country like, oh, most other countries everywhere.
    secondly: international football teams can fly to shannon, cork, knock, the airfield twenty miles away from me, y'know, anywhere.
    thirdly: i think they should put it somehwhere between knock airport and galway.

The reason we can't have them dotted around is we simply don't have the infrastructure... okay, the teams can get to the stadiums now show me whereabouts in Knock you're going to put up at least 65,000 football fans? I'd love to see it get put somewhere in Mayo because I love that county, from the ceide fields to Mulranny beach, but I really don't think Mayo... or any county in the Republic (except Dublin and Cork) that can withstand that sort of burst of tourism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

if the bertie bowl is built, and croke park plans are fully done Ireland will be the ONLY country in europe with 2 80k seater stadiums.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Ah, let's look on the bright side. At least we don't have a war-loving maniac as our country's leader! :D

Give the peasants their football stadium!

no, not in knock. nearer galway. knock airport is a good half hour to the south west of knock anyway and then it'd only be a 45minute drive to wherever this place near galway is. that's comprehendible. and when i said about the stadia dotted around the country i meant that every 'proposed' new government project, especially for sports, shouldn't all have to be 'in the country's capital' cos although granted, a million and a half or so live there, three million don't.
    see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Thus spoke Edathustra: First of all, reading Fintan O'Toole's bit in the Irish Times: Ha ha ha.

Secondly, I think Galway is a good place for a stadium, or Clare. Somewhere near an airport is good for foreign tourists. But in any case, this is all speculation now.

Conor writes:
    They should just cut all GAA funding until they let Croke Park be used for football

I disagree. There's a lot of work the GAA had to do on their own on Croker. In any case, if they lost funding, tickets would cost even more, so.

We got some good ideas, we should be made advisors to John O'Donoghue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

Originally posted by purplepolkadot
    and when i said about the stadia dotted around the country i meant that every 'proposed' new government project, especially for sports, shouldn't all have to be 'in the country's capital' cos although granted, a million and a half or so live there, three million don't.
    see?
    people live in louth!let's put the bertie bowl there!!!!all in favour??*waves both arms like a crazed louthian*

• Advertisement

Thus spoke Edathustra: First of all, reading Fintan O'Toole's bit in the Irish Times: Ha ha ha.

will someone please explain what that means cos for a talented youth i'm a bit dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think we can let Bertie do what he wants so long as he doesn't take it out of us, and if he does, a dictatorship with me, a thirteen-year-old psychotic maniac at its head, can't go wrong can it? I'm sorry for that amusing bit of spam there but that really is my sorry point of view.

The GAA get their funding fairly easily but that doesn't mean they should have it stopped. It does mean however that We should take some of the money that's put to unnecessary uses in order to bolster our failing economy in other places, wherever it's most needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Hi,
    Well my opinion on the "bertie bowl" is that it should be built but out of private money, which is sort of happening at the moment if they were stuck for money, why not ask the public for an interest free loan, with the right to buy tickets to any event that would take place there,

Well gotta go,

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭C@t

Firstly: This might be slightly off the point but I think the GAA should allow other sports to be played in Croker. It is the 5th biggest stadium in Europe as far as I know.
    Secondly: I think the Bertie Bowl should be built outside Dublin too. What's the point in concentrating all the supporters in Dublin when you could increase tourism in other parts of the county? Isn't Limerick supposed to be the sporting capital of Ireland? Why not build it there? It's only 20 mins. from Shannon Airport, there's plenty of places to stay and the roads aren't too bad.
    Well that's my opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Build it.

Give Croker the Champions League Final and a €1m + windfall.

Euro '08 could be the best thing to happen to the country and FF will prolly get another term out of it!

Advertisement