Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL in Cork city?

Options
  • 15-09-2002 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

A buddy of mine reckons that Eircom have dsl in Cork city already, now I reckon that's crud but he seems determined (or confused more likely...substance abuse...tut tut). More specifically he says that a friend's father (yes heresay I know) has only one phone line but can use the internet and the phone for voice calls at the same time (not satellite btw). Now he says that Eircom are keeping this a secret but it does exist.I aired this here so that he can read whether he's right or I am (I am btw). Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by omahaid
    A buddy of mine reckons that Eircom have dsl in Cork city already, now I reckon that's crud but he seems determined (or confused more likely...substance abuse...tut tut). More specifically he says that a friend's father (yes heresay I know) has only one phone line but can use the internet and the phone for voice calls at the same time

ISDN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What jd said is a possibility. Or he could of course have a leased line (just because we can't afford it doesn't mean everyone can't). And if he does, it could well be DSL, because Eircom have been supplying leased lines over HDSL for five years or more. Or of course, it could be ADSL -- some of the exchanges down here already have Eircom DSLAMs in them. It could be anything, so I don't think there's much point in people getting their hopes up.

I think it might be an idea to start petitions for DSL like they did in the UK though. BT agreed under pressure to roll out DSL to areas where there's demonstrated demand (currently 200 users), and I believe there would be an incentive to Eircom (and Esat) to work their products harded if we proved just how many people out there want it. Plus of course it should be possible to get the media interested. You never know, we might even get The Doctor thinking like Ben Verwaayen! :)

Putting something together is actually quite easy, it's the validation that's tricky. Anybody got any suggestions, comments, questions?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

That was my first suggestion but the person who first spread this vicious rumour used to be very high up in Esat's munster network installation operation and hopefully knows the difference between isdn and dsl, he swears it dsl. I think that maybe he got is wrong,but as I said he swears blind it's not isdn.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by dahamsta

I think it might be an idea to start petitions for DSL like they did in the UK though. BT agreed under pressure to roll out DSL to areas where there's demonstrated demand (currently 200 users), and I believe there would be an incentive to Eircom (and Esat) to work their products harded if we proved just how many people out there want it.

Good idea, Adam.

Incidentally, I was in Antrim couple of weeks ago and a lot of the shops had a poster in the window with a petition form inside to "Bring ASDL to Antrim", organised by a local consumer group.

Not same thing as registering with BT but I presume they are actively encouraging people to register with BT.

Would it be worthwhile considering something along these lines for IOFFL - I realise that our committee is already under severe time pressure but it's something that 'ordinary' members could get involved in; obviously it would only work in areas of reasonable population density.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I don't see why we couldn't have this based on the IOFFL site, allowing us to compile the requests for each area.

As Martin suggests its something perhaps members could organise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It is a classic campaigning tactic, the petition, in Intenet format of course.

The broadband4britain site has some pointers as to how BT does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Great Idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by DonegalMan

Incidentally, I was in Antrim couple of weeks ago and a lot of the shops had a poster in the window with a petition form inside to "Bring ASDL to Antrim", organised by a local consumer group.

This might be the 'Local Hero' campaign being run by the Broadband4Britain campaign. I spoke to the guy who runs it and it's very successful.

Advertisement