Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASDL modem? .. yes, asdl

Options
  • 15-09-2002 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I seen an advert on the front page of the 'Sunday Business Post' today for an 'Extreme Machine'

'Speed up your internet access with an ASDL modem from D-Link.... This clever modem represents the economical way to access Hi Speed multimedia and it operates on your existing phone line and you don't have to install a splitter.
    The ASDL modem ..... '

Yes, its a ASDL modem.. not an ADSL modem

Is this just a normal 56k modem ? or has it anything to do with adsl ?
    With the words, 'without a splitter', it tends to lean on the idea of DSL.

anyone know or hear of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

ASDL is mentioned at the following link Click Here.

I know it says 1999 but on there google.com there are loads of links, I just clicked on this one.

Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think it's a typo - if you look at the link Mick supplies:
    ...this BT trial uses ASDL (asymmetric digital subscriber line) a technical hiccup that allows 2Mb/second downloads over regular copper telephone cable

It seems as if he just got the letters mixed up. I'm 99% sure that it does refer to ADSL, obewan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

DLinks site has no "ASDL" modems either. Its a common typo.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

ouch, imagine paying that much for a big space on the front page of a national newspaper, only to get a typo error ! :rolleyes:

anyway, I doubt you can just plug this into your phone line and get adsl speeds.. there's hardly any info on the page about what technology it uses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by ando
    anyway, I doubt you can just plug this into your phone line and get adsl speeds.. there's hardly any info on the page about what technology it uses ?

I'd be gobsmacked if it did, Remember, DSL has to be enabled on the exchange for you too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Can we have the name of the company and contact details?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

There isn't much contact details.. compustore sales hotline: 01-4506255

Its a 'D-Link ADSL modem'... nothing more, no model numbers etc

Advertisement