Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanner problem

• 16-09-2002 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    I have a Windows 2000 PC. I had a USB scanner installed which worked fine until I put in my new internal soundcard. When I rebooted after the sound card installation as instructed, the PC 'found new hardware' - the USB scanner!. I went throught the wizard but keep getting errors when I try and install the drivers. Windows keeps saying that the drivers are not digitally signed even though the installation CD says Windows 2000 compatible. I continue anyway but the drivers fail to load. In device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark beside the 'USB device'. I'm not an expert but I searched around and found an IRQ list which said that both the souncard and 'USB device' are assigned IRQ 11.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

You said there is a yellow exclamation mark beside the 'USB device'. This idicates a promblem. Double clicking it tells you the promlem(listed under device status). The fact that you went looking for IRQs means that it said it had an IRQ conflict I assum.

Well to my understanding IRQ 11 is suppose to be for grapics and IRQ 5 for sound.

The best thing is to uninstall, remove and unplug both the scanner and sound card. Try starting with installing the sound card first. Once its going try the scanner installation.

When you've that done let us know how it went.

P.S. Make sure you uninstalled your old card before you removed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I'll try that this weekend timeout. Is it possible to change the IRQ from 11 to 5 without unplugging both. Why does Windows give me a 'not digitally signed' error when the Scanner is W2000 compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Win2k has a nice "feature" of allocating pretty much all your hard ware to one IRQ, usually 11.

Timeout is right, you may have to remive the old sound card first. Win2k *kind* of allows you to physically unplug hardware without it being *properly* removed from the OS itself.

The Digitally signed bit is nonsense really tbh.
    Afaik it just means that MS haven't officially tested those drivers with that bit of hardware on 2k. You're pretty sound to go ahead and install them anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

^ what SyxPak said.

Also, just checked my setup and noticed both my soundcard and USB on IRQ 11 without problems. Win2k generally likes assigning all PCI devices to IRQ11.

Just FYI really, no proper helpful sugggestion from me:(

Advertisement