Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Hard drive ?

• 16-09-2002 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭

Right, woke up this morning and one of the IBM's in the raid 0 had the clicky problem, running dft on it right now, so hopefully it'll come through relatively unscathed (crosses fingers), have all data backed up anyway, just the annoyance of a reinstall if dft fails.

Anyway, gonna replace it asap, whats the top performing IDE drive atm ? western digital 8 meg one ? or have maxtor out done them ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Yea I think the WD 8 Meg Caviar is still the highest performer. I've got a Maxtor 740x myself and it's quite fast but has developed a really annoying noise recently. Going to get myself a Segate Barracuda drive soon. Fluid bearings so that should keep the noise down 135 squid from komplett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Astrofool, make sure you have a look at the guides on the net for recovering that ibm, ( in case you haven't already ). I'm not sure if you'll get away just by scanning the drive, you may have to format it. What I did was use the ibm format utility and it was fine (45gig 75GXP ). What happens is the drive head loses track of where it is on the disk, and ends up being at the outside of the disk, when in fact it thinks that its still a bit away from the edge. Hence its repeated attempts to move to the next track.

If you can't get it back, the newer ibm 120gxp seems to be much more reliable ( as reliable as any other modern hdd) almost as fast as the wd 8mb caviar, and should be a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

went through it all, second time i've had to do this with an ibm (was a 60 gig model of same drive before). It found corrupt sectors, tried to fix them froze, scanned it again and told me I had to do erase disk. Erased the disk and am reformatting atm :)

not too worried about price (i.e. I saw the WD 8meg 80gig drive for 86, might get two and raid them :)), just wondering if there were any newer drives out to take their crown away as it were. I've been buying IBM's now for ages, and seeing as they've sold the HD division, it's time to move on I think.

Might just grab one and then raid a couple of serial drives a few months down the line tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The WD JB's are excellent. I just setup a new system with 2x80Gb in Raid0.
    In the last 2 years Ive setup 3 raid arrays, first was with 2 IBM 75gxps - never had any trouble with them, the second was 2 IBM 120's and they've failed majorly once and lately just keep corrupting files - I wont touch IBM again. The WD's seem fine so far, and damn fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've got a 120 Gig WD JB 8Meg.

I had a small problem with the drive (It wouldn't detect when booting from cold) so I've gotten it warranty replaced by WD.

I'd still say that itsan excellent drive and I think that my problem is probably a wierd occurrance so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

icon14.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

WD here too. I'm just sorry I didn't spend the extra few eurons and got a 120Gb instead of the 80Gb...

Fast and quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by Gerry
    If you can't get it back, the newer ibm 120gxp seems to be much more reliable ( as reliable as any other modern hdd) almost as fast as the wd 8mb caviar, and should be a bit cheaper.

Two 120Gb IBM's died at the Koopa vs *NemisiS* lan.
    And one died a few lans before that aswell.

I've got a Seagate 80Gb and 2 40Gbs and they're running fine
    Got a 20Gb maxtor aswell.
    Had problems with my 20Gb Western Digital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have a 80GB Seagate Barracuda and it is nice and quiet at 7200rpm... I would reccomend the Seagate or WD drives .. i have another 7200rpm 30GB WD and its nice too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

WD with 8MB cache is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet ;)

Advertisement