Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Tips?

Options
  • 16-09-2002 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a stab at bootlegging a couple of gigs with my minidisc recorder in recent weeks, with below average results. Its not bad for acoustic stuff, but as soon as anything louder happens, the recording becomes horribly distorted.

I'm using a small little condenser mic in the "mic in" jack on my recorder. I have a feeling I need a better microphone, but I'm not sure (its a cheapo €20 one with its own battery power source).

Has anyone got any experience with this? Any tips/tricks?

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

get a decent mic, id say an SM58 would do the trick, it sounds decent enough and its widely available. check www.thomann.de for mics
    experiment with the location of the mic, id say down the back will get you the best results

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TBH, you wont ever get any good recordings with that kind of a mic, you need to look for a mic, that will take in a high DB level. In a gig, the loudness of the music will distort most things. I'm suprised you didnt damage some of the gear you already have. Keep the input level low. And try find a mic that is unsensitive. IE one that has a high thres-hold.

John

Advertisement