Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digibox will not turn on

• 16-09-2002 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Guys - disaster!

My digibox will not turn on - red light is still on the front. I have tried rebooting, and forcing software upgrade, but nothing happens. Has anyone any ideas about what might be wrong. Sky told me to call a repair shop! No way I am paying to have it repaired. I have it two years now.

HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I'm afraid a repair job sounds like the only way forward for this case.

Does the Remote control light on the digibox show up on the digibox when you press any button on the Sky remote?

Have you tried using the buttons on the digibox itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Call Sky again and tell them you want to cancel your sub rather than buy a new digibox. Several others on here have done this and received a new digibox free of charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by bucks73
    Call Sky again and tell them you want to cancel your sub rather than buy a new digibox. Several others on here have done this and received a new digibox free of charge.

I've heard of this before but I have yet to hear of anyone who has actually obtained a free repair/box using this method.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Was at a house today where a Sky-Guy called to them to sort out their problem (The dreaded "no satellite signal being received" on a Pace). But when he sussed it was the box at fault, he said to take it to local electrical shop as he'd no boxes to replace it with.:confused:

Ideally, Sky should send Pace users a free tuner module every year and a half LOL :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bmg

i can confirm that sky do replace boxes for free .i've had it done for quite a few customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bmg

sorry meant to post this on 'digibox will not turn on' thread.

Originally posted by bmg
    i can confirm that sky do replace boxes for free .i've had it done for quite a few customers.

Are they warranty or non warranty boxes? If you are located in Ireland then sky dont supply boxes their appointed suppliers do, perhaps you could clarify this.

Tony

Originally posted by irishbyte
    Was at a house today where a Sky-Guy called to them to sort out their problem (The dreaded "no satellite signal being received" on a Pace). But when he sussed it was the box at fault, he said to take it to local electrical shop as he'd no boxes to replace it with.:confused:

Ideally, Sky should send Pace users a free tuner module every year and a half LOL :p

Be even better if they built it properly to start with.

Tony

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tony

Are they warranty or non warranty boxes? If you are located in Ireland then sky dont supply boxes their appointed suppliers do, perhaps you could clarify this.

I would also be very interested in this...

I know Armstrong Electronics dont' give away free boxes if out of warranty. Dunno about any other suppliers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

We've had a Pace Dodgybox since February 2000 and have had no major problems with it except one - currently some of the Eurobird channels are freezing and blocking. The only good thing is that it's on channels which we hardly watch - BEN, Setanta and another one (Al Dubai I think it's called, it has an eagle head for it's logo), none of the other channels are breaking up or have any problem. I'm suspecting that it might be to do with a digital cordless phone that we bought a few weeks ago and the blocking started then. Coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I can confirm that Sky will send out an engineer for free. My tuner went a few months back. Called Sky to tell them I was cancelling my sub. They put me through to someone else who asked why. I told them my box was broke + lack of irish interactive services, too dear etc. They asked me if I would be interested in a Sky engineer calling out to replace the digibox all free of charge. So I said OK! The engineer never came out on the day he was supposed to but he came 3 days later. replaced it with a brand new pace box. Didn't even have to sign a contract to keep Sky for another 12 months. But the box aint goin too well now. In the search and scan banner I usually get "further schedule information is not available". When I try going to channels 101,102,103,104 I usually get "No satellite signal is being received" so I might ring sky again and tell them Im cancelling my sub to see if they'll send someone out 4 free.

It seems Sky's policy is a little erratic on this as I've had customers who rang sky with the same complaint and were not offered any service other than the paid one.

Tony

Originally posted by kevinmcc
    I can confirm that Sky will send out an engineer for free. My tuner went a few months back. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HappyDude

I was one of the people who was offered nothing...in fact they could not comprehend why I would want to cancel my subscription while without a digibox! :confused:

I am not paying to have the thing repaired as it has always been a piece of junk.

Will try having my parents take out another subscription - only think that may catch me is that the phone numbers would be the same on the old account (in my name) and the new one (in the parents name).

Does not seem like good business sense to allow me to cancel, when I have been a full package subscriber to Sky for about 5 years now...

BMG any chance of a reply to my question?

Tony

Advertisement