Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYI Eircom Upgrade, some real info

Options
  • 16-09-2002 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have not been able to confirm yet what DSLAM is in the eircom exchanges in my area. But I have found this info. If you are having simular problems. See if you can contact eircom to confirm that they did an upgrade, and what date.

See my other post for more info of problem:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=63955
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=806

Alcatel are currently carrying out some upgrades at BT ADSL exchanges as we detailed on 6th September . Unfortunately reports are starting to mount from users of different ADSL modems that the hardware they own can longer maintain a connection to the exchange.

At this time the hardware that users are reporting problems with is the Netgear DG814 and Solwise SAR-715. Prior to the upgrades the users had had reliable connections, but now they cant connect or connect for very short times. ADSL line faults have been ruled out as some of them retain old Alcatel USB ADSL modems which still work. If you think you may be affected do report the problem to your ISP and contribute to the thread in our forums here.

Hopefully Alcatel will be able to look at the problem and come up with a solution, precisely what has changed is unclear at this time. If Alcatel or any ISP has any useful information on the matter feel free to contact us.

Problems like this with upgrades raises the question of how much testing BT Wholesale does with respect to DSLAM providers changing firmware. The SAR-715 was previously tested and proved to work well on the Alcatel A1000 and AR1000 DSLAMs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

Best bet is to ring Eircom and ask them if they have alcatel DSLAMS and if they upgraded the firmware on them on the night in question. If so, then thats your problem. It may be worth pointing them at that forum, stating that BT upgraded theirs and that tons of UK users are having problems with certain routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 micko42

I have already confirmed that Eircom did do an upgrade on the exchange on that day. See my original post. I am currently checking with them to see if this is exact change they did.

I was posting this to see if any one else is having the same problems.

The main thing is the Zyxel modem doesnt seem to be having the problem so I dont think many people in Ireland will be having the problem.

Advertisement